[SOLVED] ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error in GTA 5

Aug 10, 2019
Hello everyone, I bought new laptop which has i7-9750H and GTX 1650. I have installed GTA 5 game and I am facing this really weird error called ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT. I have tried many solutions from this forum and others online.
List of things I have done till now.

1. updated my drivers
  2. in the settings.xml file I have changed that DX_Version value to even "0" and "1" and stuff.
  3. I have even turned off VSync.
  4. re-installed the game and after facing the error again, did all the above mentioned things.
  5. Made the graphic windowed-borderless
  6. in the This PC's properties -> Advanced System properties -> chose Adjust for best performance also

Is there something new to be done since I have GTX 1650, so please suggest any new work-around.

Solution
It's a common issue with laptops. Desktops - nada.
Between the two, it's gotta be some crap software... oh, well whaddya know, it must be that Nvidia Optimus software that desktops don't have.
I could also say it's Rockstar's Social Club, but since some desktop users also run SC instead of Steam and not have issues with it, I can only look at Optimus being at the center of it all.

I have found a couple of workarounds - but they're pretty old - but they may still work.
1st one:
"u have to manually tell nvidia control panel to use the high performance graphics card

Right click the GAME Icon >> Run With ... >> Nvidia GPU. "
2nd one:
"Go to your device manager and turn off your Nvidia card.

Now start the Launcher, when it comes up, wait...
Aug 10, 2019
Is Geforce Experience installed?

I don't know if GeForce Experience is installed or not but there is that NVidia driver software which I just upadted and it is installed properly? Is GeForce Experience something different? Is it a must have item? Please let me know I really want to play this game

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No. Geforce Experience seems to do more harm than good for PCs.
We don't need more wonky software optimizing our in game settings for us. It's best if done ourselves.
It just fights with more software, and sometimes the drivers themselves.

I'd suggest uninstalling the driver with DDU. Link: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Download the driver package for the 1650, but don't install it yet. Disconnect your internet connection - this is to stop windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). Make sure the Nvidia driver is selected to be uninstalled - you don't want to accidentally uninstall the 9750H's igpu driver.
After DDU has done it's thing, you can install the driver, and then reconnect your internet.

Reactions: somespec
Aug 10, 2019
No. Geforce Experience seems to do more harm than good for PCs.
We don't need more wonky software optimizing our in game settings for us. It's best if done ourselves.
It just fights with more software, and sometimes the drivers themselves.

I'd suggest uninstalling the driver with DDU. Link: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Download the driver package for the 1650, but don't install it yet. Disconnect your internet connection - this is to stop windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). Make sure the Nvidia driver is selected to be uninstalled - you don't want to accidentally uninstall the 9750H's igpu driver.
After DDU has done it's thing, you can install the driver, and then reconnect your internet.

Okay so I did the whole thing in Safe Mode and the first time I started the game as soon as the story mode started the error appeared and boom every hope is ending now.

Is it because of some over/under clocking? I have not done anything related to it, just a thought. What am I missing here :'(

Aug 10, 2019
Windows Event Viewer - just enter event viewer in Windows search bar
Reliability History - *same as previous
These may be able to shed more light on the matter. There should be a timestamp for when the crash occurred, and details on what happened.

Okay so it shows Graphics UMD driver info under GFX-> Info -> Application.
Where can I find Reliability History?

In the "Summary of Administrative Events" section it shows that there were 125+ error in last hour column and out of those 124 is for nvlddmkm

Aug 10, 2019
These may be able to shed more light on the matter. There should be a timestamp for when the crash occurred, and details on what happened.

Ohh sorry I found the reliabilty history. :)

it shows following data for GTA 5 stopped working

Source Grand Theft Auto V Summary Stopped working Date ‎12-‎08-‎2019 12:30 AM Status Report sent Description Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: GTA5.exe Application Version: 1.0.678.1 Application Timestamp: 56e2b38c Fault Module Name: GTA5.exe Fault Module Version: 1.0.678.1 Fault Module Timestamp: 56e2b38c Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000000000119b754 OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.768.100 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 2e5d Additional Information 2: 2e5d42ca02c72668211e322ee69eea8c Additional Information 3: 5882 Additional Information 4: 588204fc61be452f295aa421c14edab2 Extra information about the problem Bucket ID: 4da6cd316f2795b2e611226994e77b8a (120433687649) `

Aug 10, 2019

I'm sure the details won't differ much but here is the latest report

Source
Grand Theft Auto V

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎12-‎08-‎2019 01:18 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GTA5.exe
Application Version: 1.0.678.1
Application Timestamp: 56e2b38c
Fault Module Name: GTA5.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.678.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 56e2b38c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000119b754
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.768.100
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2e5d
Additional Information 2: 2e5d42ca02c72668211e322ee69eea8c
Additional Information 3: 5882
Additional Information 4: 588204fc61be452f295aa421c14edab2

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ugh. 'Nvlddmkm' is one of the most annoying crashes to deal with when it comes to Nvidia gpus.

Let's get the hardware out of the way first.
Between when you bought the laptop and before you installed GTA V, have you installed or plugged in any new hardware?

We should also test the ram to make sure you didn't get a laptop with faulty memory installed.
Do you have a spare usb drive of at least 500MB? It's needed for running Memtest86. Link to free download: https://www.memtest86.com/
You will need to create a bootable usb drive(which will erase everything on it).

Reactions: somespec
Aug 10, 2019
Ugh. 'Nvlddmkm' is one of the most annoying crashes to deal with when it comes to Nvidia gpus.

Between when you bought the laptop and before you installed GTA V, have you installed or plugged in any new hardware?

We should also test the ram to make sure you didn't get a laptop with faulty memory installed.
Do you have a spare usb drive of at least 500MB? It's needed for running Memtest86. Link to free download: https://www.memtest86.com/
You will need to create a bootable usb drive(which will erase everything on it).

No I have not plugged in any new thing I'm just using it as out of the box.
To test the RAM do I have to make the whole pen drive bootable with Windows 10 in it? For that I might need bigger pendrives I guess I only have one with 4GB of total storage capacity. I will figure out a way and get back to you in the morning

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No I have not plugged in any new thing I'm just using it as out of the box.
To test the RAM do I have to make the whole pen drive bootable with Windows 10 in it? For that I might need bigger pendrives I guess I only have one with 4GB of total storage capacity. I will figure out a way and get back to you in the morning
It doesn't need to have windows in it, because once you copy the image to the drive, EVERYTHING on it gets erased. It'll warn you again about this before you proceed with the wipe.
So if you have any important info on the spare drive, make a back up of it. The program itself needs about 515MB of space.

Aug 10, 2019

BTW was that information from Reliabilty Monitor any helpful? Because I guess directly judging based on event viewer's nvlddmkm is quite straight. Though I would trust you since that is the only thing showing up in errors. The details it had in general tab are as follows;

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\UVMLiteProcess1
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x50dfb0=0x30009 0x50dfb4=0x4 0x50dfa8=0x7c12b72 0x50dfac=0x174

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

And the information in details tab are as follows;

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="nvlddmkm" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49322">13</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-11T19:48:32.181825700Z" />

<EventRecordID>10707</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>LAPTOP-5VBTE039</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>\Device\UVMLiteProcess1</Data>

<Data>Graphics Exception: ESR 0x50dfb0=0x30009 0x50dfb4=0x4 0x50dfa8=0x7c12b72 0x50dfac=0x174</Data>

<Binary>0000000002003000000000000D00AAC0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It did help. Unfortunately, there are multiple causes for nvlddmkm. Both hardware and software.
Ruling out hardware is quicker and less of a headache, that's why I asked if you had any other hardware installs and said to run memtest86.

Once that's out of the way, we can move to software.

If we were to instead start with software first, no amount of fixes would've worked if the source of the issue was actually within the hardware.

Aug 10, 2019
It did help. Unfortunately, there are multiple causes for nvlddmkm. Both hardware and software.
Ruling out hardware is quicker and less of a headache, that's why I asked if you had any other hardware installs and said to run memtest86.

Once that's out of the way, we can move to software.

If we were to instead start with software first, no amount of fixes would've worked if the source of the issue was actually within the hardware.

Hi So I ran the MemTest And it passed 100% without any issues

here is the link to the report it generated in HTML format. https://gofile.io/?c=1Rq228

Also I took some pictures while it was going on. Here are those:

1. https://photos.app.goo.gl/BShg6fNCwEcjBitN9
  2. https://photos.app.goo.gl/T55RvuAJB9MGEyjM7
  3. this is just their home page kind of thing : https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7uUoFJJhvqhKMEz7
So I hope we are very much clear on the hardware part. Do let me know further process to get started with.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Neat. Now we move to the software.
Run System File Checker. This has Windows check for any missing of corrupted files.
Link: Using System File Checker

Since the 9750H has an igpu, there are drivers available for it as well. What's the brand, or manufacturer of the laptop?
If for some reason a graphics driver update isn't available on their site, you'll have to get them directly from Intel.

There may also be other drivers available for the motherboard on the manufacturer's site. It's a good idea to update those as well.

In your power plan and advanced power settings, you want to take anything related to power saving and toss it out the window. I believe you've already done this going by your earlier posts.

Aug 10, 2019
Neat. Now we move to the software.
Run System File Checker. This has Windows check for any missing of corrupted files.
Link: Using System File Checker

Since the 9750H has an igpu, there are drivers available for it as well. What's the brand, or manufacturer of the laptop?
If for some reason a graphics driver update isn't available on their site, you'll have to get them directly from Intel.

There may also be other drivers available for the motherboard on the manufacturer's site. It's a good idea to update those as well.

In your power plan and advanced power settings, you want to take anything related to power saving and toss it out the window. I believe you've already done this going by your earlier posts.

So I ran the SFC commands as mentioned on the link you shared.

The laptop is HP Pavilion 15-bc514tx

this is the driver list for this particular model : https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-bc500-laptop/26122243/model/29678375 so do let me know which one should I install? My OS version is stil 1809 and not 1903 so yeah. I have not updated because I have heard latest one gives out so many errors

What more things should I toss it out (turn off) for power plan?

Also this is the log of the sfc command I ran

(12-Aug-19 | 22:34:21.93 )
(C:\WINDOWS\system32) => DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17763.1

Image Version: 10.0.17763.615

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

(12-Aug-19 | 22:42:36.15 )
(C:\WINDOWS\system32) => sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

and yeah I made my own PROMPT for the first time for CMD :D:)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well no, I wouldn't want you to update to the new version of windows if it's bugged as all hell.
Since HP's driver tool is linked to your laptop, it knows which drivers you already have; I can't see which drivers you have/already have. I can't - it shows me the entire list.
For now, download and install the ones that are not for v1903.

Only tweak the power settings for the igpu/gpu. Battery saving options will prioritize using the igpu, maximum quality/performance to the gpu.
The laptop will still use the igpu when on the desktop/browsing the web - you don't need a gpu for that, after all.

The repair was successful, great!
Now, have you ever verified the integrity of GTA V's game files? Instructions are here: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/115014280127/Verifying-system-files-on-your-PC-for-GTAV
Once you've done that and have updated the laptop's drivers, it's time to give the game a go.

Aug 10, 2019
Well no, I wouldn't want you to update to the new version of windows if it's bugged as all hell.
Since HP's driver tool is linked to your laptop, it knows which drivers you already have; I can't see which drivers you have/already have. I can't - it shows me the entire list.

Only tweak the power settings for the igpu/gpu. Battery saving options will prioritize using the igpu, maximum quality/performance to the gpu.
The laptop will still use the igpu when on the desktop/browsing the web - you don't need a gpu for that, after all.

Now, have you ever verified the integrity of GTA V's game files? Instructions are here: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/115014280127/Verifying-system-files-on-your-PC-for-GTAV
Once you've done that and have updated the laptop's drivers, it's time to give the game a go.

Okay so I guess my drivers are up to date now because the HP's software locally shows they are updated.

I have ran the game from CMD with -verify flag as mentioned in that rockstar page (the link you shared), it is cool, the game ran with 820x600 resolution and it ran for like more than 40 minutes so I was quite happy, then it exited without any errror.

I will update you as I play the game, again.
Do let me know about how I could specify things between iGPU and stuff. you mean to say the intel 630 gpu, right?

You mentioned this, how do I this ?

Aug 10, 2019

So now I have played it many times and even on low resolutions it just gives out that ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error, first few minutes in the game.

Be careful when using low resolutions; I've found many cases where modern titles don't play nice with low resolutions.

The fact it's throwing a ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error makes me think one of three things is happening:

1: DirectX doesn't have one of the files it needs to run.
2: There's a problem with the GPU driver you are using
3: The GPU is faulty.

My first question: I believe GTA V can run in DX10 or DX11; which one are you using? There might be a hint there if one version works but not the other.

Aug 10, 2019
Be careful when using low resolutions; I've found many cases where modern titles don't play nice with low resolutions.

The fact it's throwing a ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error makes me think one of three things is happening:

1: DirectX doesn't have one of the files it needs to run.
2: There's a problem with the GPU driver you are using
3: The GPU is faulty.

My first question: I believe GTA V can run in DX10 or DX11; which one are you using? There might be a hint there if one version works but not the other.

In the settings.xml file I have shited it to all the options several time like -DX10 , -DX11. Still it got stuck with that error. Than when I was able to start the game I did change it to DirectX 10, 10.1 and even 11 but still it would give the error.

For the graphics card, I guess I have tried all that has been mentioned in the this thread above and I guess I have found no issues. I really don't understand what is wrong.

In Nvidia Control Panel I have even opted for NVidia grphics only, so that it doesn't have to make switch whie opening the any app but somehow it still gives the error.

What file is required for the Direct X that you have mentioned about?