Error 0xc0000021a - want to reset but Product Key doesn't work

Serpico89

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hello, I' am currently using a custom made laptop which I had to repair due to an hardware failure. After I got the PC back I reinstalled Windows but the product key I had wasn't working properly any more. Knowing that after an hardware change this is not an uncommon problem, I just used the option "Activate by phone" and everything went fine.

Unfortunately the last day I got the blue screen with the error 0xc0000021a, which I know is caused by misconfigured system files in the computer. Moreover this error is really similar to the error I got prior the hardware failure (0xc00000e). So I figured that maybe the Windows 8 installation I have (I purchased before Windows 8.1) has some problems, and maybe I can solve them by reinstalling directly Windows 8.1, instead of reinstalling Windows 8 and then upgrading it from the store.

The problem is that when I launch the Windows 8.1 set-up program to create a media for recovery, when asked for the product key mine doesn't work. I think this has something to do with the hardware change and with the fact that I used the "activate by phone" option, but my Windows version is legit and I paid for it, and therefore I want to be able to reset my computer if I need to (like now).

Anyone has any suggestion on how to solve this? Thank you

Solution
the product key used for the download is not tested for activation. It is tested for a valid key. Most often people just mistake some of the characters
and enter the wrong sequence. for example:
i,1
0,o
G,6
b,8
m,rm

I think 0xc0000021a is a failure cause by corruption of the windows logon service
windows detectes its process memory image had been modified and it shuts down windows.
I would run a malwarebytes scan to check for a virus attempting to hack windows.

also, start cmd.ex as a admin (windows key+x then type A)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

this will go to a trusted online source and repair corrupted key windows files.
the product key used for the download is not tested for activation. It is tested for a valid key. Most often people just mistake some of the characters
and enter the wrong sequence. for example:
i,1
0,o
G,6
b,8
m,rm

I think 0xc0000021a is a failure cause by corruption of the windows logon service
windows detectes its process memory image had been modified and it shuts down windows.
I would run a malwarebytes scan to check for a virus attempting to hack windows.

also, start cmd.ex as a admin (windows key+x then type A)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

this will go to a trusted online source and repair corrupted key windows files.

Solution