error 51 and error 9

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
just built a new comp, specs in sig, and been having problems with system being extremely sluggish. im new to this so im kinda learning as i go but this is what i have found.

in the performance monitor i would get spikes of disk que %. i was attempting to install new vid drivers, as i thought that was the culprit. i stumpled across the event logs. had had many many error 51 and error 9 in the log, i mean TONS.

is that an indication i got a crappy HDD?

here is the link to what i have tried to do troubleshooting-wise.

Clicky

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The perf monitor is crap, it has more overhead than what its worth. If your sig doesnt really help much and it would help to have the source of each event ID as well as the associated description. How long has it been sluggish, since the initial OS install or after your loaded drivers? Why type of drive are you using?

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
nothing happened until after i installed my video drivers.

im using a seagate barracuda 250 gig sata. it is partitioned in 50/200.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The perf monitor is crap, it has more overhead than what its worth. If your sig doesnt really help much and it would help to have the source of each event ID as well as the associated description. How long has it been sluggish, since the initial OS install or after your loaded drivers? Why type of drive are you using?

How about the source? PSU?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Disk errors other than SMART reporting failures are typically form a bad cable. You may want to run the Seatools against the disk (bootable). If the drive is having issues, you'll know from there. Other wise be sure you have not modified jumpers for board compatibility.