Question Error at start-up: 0xc0000719, file: hiberfil.sys

Jul 7, 2023
Hello there. This is the second time I get this error in two days. It also happened again about one month or one and a half months ago. It happens after I hit the power button. The laptop is already powered off when I press the button, it is not in sleep or hibernation. What I do after I receive the error is that I press the power button again, the laptop powers off, and then I power it on again and it goes straight into Windows without showing the error.

Does anyone please have any advice on this?
Here is a photo of the error:

Hiberfil-sys-start-up-error.jpg

Next time I get it should I enter the Recovery Environment and use my Windows 11 USB installation media?

Thank you for any help!

OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit, Computer type: Laptop, Manufacturer/Model: ASUS X1502ZA, CPU: Intel i5-1240P, Memory: 8 GB DDR4, 3200 MHz, Graphics Card: Intel UHD Graphics, SSD: 512 GB PCIe M.2, BIOS version: 312

Solution
Hello folks, I want to let you know about an update to my situation. I reinstalled Windows and the problem still appeared. Then I used the diagnostics tools to check my SSD, RAM etc., and they all came out ok.

So, the last thing I did was this: I removed the USB Ethernet Adapter that I was using all the time to connect to the internet. After removing it, I turned hibernation off and then on again, so that the hiberfil.sys file got renewed. I've started using only WiFi. It's been almost three weeks now, and I haven't got the error again. So most likely the adapter was the culprit. The model of the adapter is TP-Link UE300. Before removing it completely, I tried to see if installing the driver from their official webpage would fix...

ubuysa

Distinguished
The Fast Start option in Windows causes the kernel to be hibernated when you shutdown. On a cold boot the kernel is then read from the hibernation file. TBH the difference that this makes to a system with an SSD boot drive is minimal.

You need to do two things then...
  1. Boot the laptop ignoring the hibernate file
  2. Turn off Fast Startup and/or hibernation
The easiest way to stop Windows trying to read the hibernate file is to delete it. Boot the WIndows installation media and navigate to the command prompt. In there locate your system drive and delete the (hidden) file called hiberfil.sys. Your laptop should then boot normally.

If you don't use hibernation at all, then the best way to disable Fast Start is to completely disable hibernations. To do that open an elevated command prompt and enter the commend powercfg -h off.

Reactions: adriancornea52
Jul 7, 2023
The Fast Start option in Windows causes the kernel to be hibernated when you shutdown. On a cold boot the kernel is then read from the hibernation file. TBH the difference that this makes to a system with an SSD boot drive is minimal.

You need to do two things then...
  1. Boot the laptop ignoring the hibernate file
  2. Turn off Fast Startup and/or hibernation
The easiest way to stop Windows trying to read the hibernate file is to delete it. Boot the WIndows installation media and navigate to the command prompt. In there locate your system drive and delete the (hidden) file called hiberfil.sys. Your laptop should then boot normally.

If you don't use hibernation at all, then the best way to disable Fast Start is to completely disable hibernations. To do that open an elevated command prompt and enter the commend powercfg -h off.

Thank you so much for the info and the advice, ubuysa! I didn't know that Fast Start is enabled by default and would cause the kernel to be hibernated when I shutdown - that makes sense now in the context of my problem. I turned off hibernation. Hopefully I won't have problems anymore.

The only bit of confusion I have now is this: Before turning off hibernation, when closing the lid of the laptop, the laptop would go to sleep mode and then, after a few hours or so (rough estimate), the power LED and the LED of the Ethernet USB Adapter would go off. Was this a sign that after a few hours of sleep the laptop would go into hibernation? During the first phase I mentioned, the power LED was/is blinking and the LED of the Ethernet USB Adapter would be on. I haven't experimented yet, now that I turned off hibernation, what happens after a few hours.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Fast Startup is a fudge to allow vendors to sell cheaper HDD only laptops and PCs. It needs to be off in an SSD config.

I don't know about that sleep issue but when you disabled hibernate the hiberfil.sys file is deleted - so it can't ever hibernate anything.

Jul 7, 2023
I turned Fast Start back on, because, I have to say, I can feel the difference that it makes in the start-up time of my system (Although I have a SSD). Hopefully, the deletion and subsequent recreation of the hiberfil.sys file will not cause the 0xc0000719 problem anymore.

Jul 7, 2023
I turned Fast Start back on, because, I have to say, I can feel the difference that it makes in the start-up time of my system (Although I have a SSD). Hopefully, the deletion and subsequent recreation of the hiberfil.sys file will not cause the 0xc0000719 problem anymore.
Dang, I keep getting the error. Someone on elevenforum told me to run Driver Verifier, but after finding out that it could crash my computer and that it is mostly intended for developers, I won't do it. I think I'll contact Microsoft and Asus support, to see if they have any advice.

Dang, I keep getting the error. Someone on elevenforum told me to run Driver Verifier, but after finding out that it could crash my computer and that it is mostly intended for developers, I won't do it. I think I'll contact Microsoft and Asus support, to see if they have any advice.
Turn off hibernation.

Hiberfile is getting corrupted.
This can be caused by file system being full (free more space on the drive)
or SSD media errors. Check health of your SSD. Use SSD manufacturer specific SSD tool.

Jul 7, 2023
Hello folks, I want to let you know about an update to my situation. I reinstalled Windows and the problem still appeared. Then I used the diagnostics tools to check my SSD, RAM etc., and they all came out ok.

So, the last thing I did was this: I removed the USB Ethernet Adapter that I was using all the time to connect to the internet. After removing it, I turned hibernation off and then on again, so that the hiberfil.sys file got renewed. I've started using only WiFi. It's been almost three weeks now, and I haven't got the error again. So most likely the adapter was the culprit. The model of the adapter is TP-Link UE300. Before removing it completely, I tried to see if installing the driver from their official webpage would fix the problem. They say that generally Windows automatically recognizes the adapter, it was not specifically stated that installing the driver from the official page is mandatory. But they do say that if we encounter problems, to install their driver. So, the driver Windows automatically installed is from 26.09.2015, version 10.38.117.2020, and the driver I installed from the TP-Link website is from 15.08.2022. But even after I did this, the hiberfil.sys problem still happened. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should have recreated the hiberfil file after updating the driver, to see if it worked like this...

The main reason why I wanted to avoid WiFi is the bad effects it may have on health. But that's a different story.

Maybe these explanations will help others facing the same problem.

Solution

ubuysa

Distinguished
I think the problem is the USB Ethernet adapter then. It sounds as though the device has problems initialising when its driver is restarted after a Fast Startup resume of the kernel. I would look for a new USB Ethernet adapter that is certified for Windows 11.

I turned Fast Start back on, because, I have to say, I can feel the difference that it makes in the start-up time of my system (Although I have a SSD).
During hibernation contents of ram gets written to hiberfile.sys.
This is significant amount of writes, if you hibernate often.

On SSD you turn off hibernation. Startup on SSD is fast enough without it.
No point in causing extra unnecessary wear to your SSD.