Error code 643 for windows update

clubsinlake

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hello,
I am running windows 7 OS. Updates are available, however when I try to update all updates install except one for Security. Net framework and I get an error 643. It suggested installing windows update readiness installer, which I did, but I get the same error. Shat to do next??

jamesdean1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Windows Update error code "0x643" and Windows Installer error code "1603" are generic error codes. Typically, these error codes mean that the update was not installed. These errors codes are usually caused by a corruption in the .NET Framework installation or by an inconsistency on the MSI database state.

Auriam

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I had the same problem with installing the .NET framework 4.5.1 update on Win7 x64. After trying all suggested solutions (use the System Readiness Tool, use the .NET repair tool, use the .NET Cleanup / uninstall tool) without success, the problem turned out to be that the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\NetFramework directory didn't have the right permissions to be able to be written to *by the same installer which created it*. (sigh)

My fix: I created the directory myself and set the permissions on all C:\ProgramData directories to "SYSTEM: Full Control", "Administrators: Full Control" and "CREATOR OWNER: Full Control." The next time I tried the update it worked perfectly. Hope it works for you.

BrowneBoy

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Genius!!! Been struggling with this for days, had an idea that permissions were skewed but never thought of this. Kudos man!

TRENDING THREADS