Error Code 99

kmjavenger

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
My computer has ran fine for well over a year. Randomly yesterday it decided to lose the display suddenly in the middle of playing a game. I still had sound through my speakers and I could hear the computer running. I was thinking the graphics card might have died on me, but now I can’t get her to boot without the card either. It throws error code 99 which I know has to do with PCIe connected devices, but with the graphics card being my only PCIe device and it being disconnected how can this error code still be thrown? I’ve tried my reset CMOS button and I’ve tried each stick of ram by itself in the first slot, but nothing seems to get by 99.

Specs:
I7 7600K
EVGA Geforce gtx980
16GB of gskill tridentz 2x8gb
Asrock maximus VIII hero
Corsair TX750 psu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well PCIe is used for more than just the GPU. It is the internal bus for pretty much everything in a contemporary computer. USB, SATA, Sound, NIC, etc.

If the motherboard is still putting out error codes, that is a goodish sign. Means the CPU is still alive, but given that 16x PCIe lanes come from the CPU, this is questionable. PCH (Chipset) failure is possible, but I would expect the motherboard to not function at all in that case.

All that said though, I would check the power supply. So if you have a volt meter handy, check for 12V+ and 5V+ and see what you get. (BIOS typically runs on 5V, so it could be saying that it can't start anything that runs on 12V. Though with a single rail power supply it probably wouldn't work either without 12V either.

Only other thing, unplug and re-insert every cable, or do a complete teardown and breadboard it again. (Up to and including re-seating the CPU)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
From ASUS:

This may be due to various reasons, a failure in the BIOS or defective or faulty motherboard. You can try to disconnect the Graphic Card and use integrated on the motherboard. If this does not work, another option would be to make a BIOS FLASHBACK to downgrade the BIOS, simply record the specific files to a USB pen drive, connect it to the PC and then turn on the PC by pressing FLASHBACK key on the motherboard for more detailed instructions you can check this video in Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVvHwq3syqI

BIOS corruption would be an interesting one, but worth a shot.

After all that, probably an RMA with ASUS. Test the GPU in another system if possible to rule out that.

kmjavenger

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Well I tried breaking it down completely, reseating the CPU, and replugging everything. I’m still getting the same code. I recorded a video of it starting up and throwing codes just for reference. I don’t have a multimeter handy so I’m not sure what to do at this point. I wish I had spare parts to test components and see what exactly is failing me.

https://youtu.be/OPoaaOspiZM