[SOLVED] Error: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" ?

May 30, 2022
I've had this error for about 3 months now with nothing I do fixes it except for one thing which only solved it for about a week which was downclocking memory speed on my gpu.

Things I have tried are :
  • I've used DDU multiple times and it didn't work.
  • I've rolled back drivers, didn't work.
  • Check temps, undervolted, didn't work.
  • Tried using 1 stick of ram at a time and still didn't work.
  • I even got a new motherboard, power supply, AIO and case and it still didn't fix it.
  • Stress testing CPU
  • Getting new Ram
  • Trying GPU in another pc
  • More things I can't remember
With my X570-I, theres a white Led on VGA which detects a problem for my GPU and normally people have no display with it but my display works fine.

Specs:
5600X
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Asus Strix X570-I
Corsair SF750 PSU
NZXT Kraken X63
Old kit: Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz 2x8 (16GB) Current kit: Crucial Ballistix Max 2x16 (32GB) 4400Mhz (running at 3600) ram (problems still were there when using either kit)
970 evo plus 500gb (Main)
860 evo 1tb (games)
MX500 1tb (games)

Last edited:
Solution
Net result being that two different GPU's do not work in your current PC. Correct?

However, the 1080 ti (provided that I have correctly followed everything :) ) apparently does not work at all.

I think you are narrowing down the potential culprit.

If no GPU's will work in the current PC then the current computer/motherboard is suspect.

If a given GPU does not work in any PCs then that GPU is suspect.

Will the 1080ti work in some other known working computer other than your own systems?

That is important to know.
May 30, 2022
Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

I have tried the sfc/scannow and that didn't work and with windows troubleshooter, it says there's nothing to troubleshoot.

I will give the dism stuff a try and see if that works

May 30, 2022
Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Didn't work and now my display has lines all over it and hdmi has no output and theres no drivers now and they won't install.

View: https://imgur.com/a/9SbPwEb

photos of whats happening ^

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to access BIOS?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

If supported by motherboard and GPU try integrated graphics. Remove the GPU beforehand.

Manually download graphics drivers via the applicable manufacturer websites. Reinstall and reconfigure directly. No third party installer tools or apps.

May 30, 2022
Are you able to access BIOS?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

If supported by motherboard and GPU try integrated graphics. Remove the GPU beforehand.

Manually download graphics drivers via the applicable manufacturer websites. Reinstall and reconfigure directly. No third party installer tools or apps.

I manually installed drivers but it didn’t work, I don’t have an IGPU, all my other spare gpus get no display and now my 1080 ti gives no display at all

Ralston18

Titan
Corsair SF750 PSU :

How old? Condition: original to build, new, refurbished, old?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

You can do some testing. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance may indicate a failing PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

May 30, 2022
Corsair SF750 PSU :

How old? Condition: original to build, new, refurbished, old?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

You can do some testing. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance may indicate a failing PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
Psu is new, I was having the crashes with another psu, motherboard and ram but not to this scale (like my 1080 ti getting no display)

Ralston18

Titan
Discontinue all OC to determine if the problem ends and if the system will boot with the display again working.

You may need to reset CMOS per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15891_ROG_STRIX_X570-I_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct manual.]

Read the manual through to double-check everything. RAM hardware and configuration in particular. Pages 1-5 and 1-6.

Ensure that all installed components and that the present configurations are indeed supported. Pay attention to all fine print and warnings.

Then refer to Page 1-9 explaining how to clear CMOS.

Immediate objective being to successfully boot and regain access to BIOS and OS.

May 30, 2022
Discontinue all OC to determine if the problem ends and if the system will boot with the display again working.

You may need to reset CMOS per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15891_ROG_STRIX_X570-I_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct manual.]

Read the manual through to double-check everything. RAM hardware and configuration in particular. Pages 1-5 and 1-6.

Ensure that all installed components and that the present configurations are indeed supported. Pay attention to all fine print and warnings.

Then refer to Page 1-9 explaining how to clear CMOS.

Immediate objective being to successfully boot and regain access to BIOS and OS.

Cleared CMOS and still no display
Also, on boot, theres a orange light on ram for like a second before disappearing, then it goes to a red on cpu for a second, then no lights and then like 3 seconds later a white one appears on VGA and does not go away.
And also yes, that is the correct manual I think.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight inspect everything inside and outside.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, cracked connectors, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, loose or missing screws, anything at all. Use a bright flashlight to help examine everything. There is no need to rush.

Check ports and plugs for obstructions or damage. Likewise the PCIe slots.

Check the motherboard standoffs. Ensure that they are all installed per the User Guide/Manual.

Check the front panel connections to ensure that they are properly connected. Reference the case User Guide/Manual as well.

May 30, 2022

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, cracked connectors, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, loose or missing screws, anything at all. Use a bright flashlight to help examine everything. There is no need to rush.

Check the motherboard standoffs. Ensure that they are all installed per the User Guide/Manual.

Check the front panel connections to ensure that they are properly connected. Reference the case User Guide/Manual as well.
No dust/debris, all connectors, cards, ram and jumpers are in place
everything has been inspected
I don't see any conductors showing, melted insulation or anything of that sort.
Don't see any damage
On the pcie connector on the 1080 ti a bit of the yellowy gold stuff is stripped off but I believe that has been there for a long time.

May 30, 2022

Okay so new things, My friend let me use his working 1050 ti to completely make sure it was my GPU and that gets no display but while in my friends PC, it got display. I'm thinking its something with the motherboard or cpu.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022
Regarding:

"On the pcie connector on the 1080 ti a bit of the yellowy gold stuff is stripped off but I believe that has been there for a long time. "

Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?
nvm im just stupid and didn't realise its meant to be like that

Ralston18

Titan
What is "meant to be like that"?

Not sure what you mean.....

Yellowy gold stuff should not be stripped off or otherwise missing, damaged, corroded, etc..

One fix could be to simply use a pencil eraser and gently rub and clean the contacts.

Or otherwise determine for certain that the 1080ti is damaged in some manner.

Photos?

May 30, 2022
What is "meant to be like that"?

Not sure what you mean.....

Yellowy gold stuff should not be stripped off or otherwise missing, damaged, corroded, etc..

One fix could be to simply use a pencil eraser and gently rub and clean the contacts.

Or otherwise determine for certain that the 1080ti is damaged in some manner.

Photos?
View: https://imgur.com/a/8R466ee

on the right of it, you can see what I mean (sorry for bad photo, I can’t be bothered to get it back out again as it’s a pain to get out in my small case)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I see a small dark spot on the second contact in from the right.

I also see that the latch hook is not "gold" but that should not make a difference.

Both seem to be okay.

Looked at some online vendor images of the GPU and did not note any differences.

Hopefully someone will notice something that I am missing.

May 30, 2022
I see a small dark spot on the second contact in from the right.

I also see that the latch hook is not "gold" but that should not make a difference.

Both seem to be okay.

Looked at some online vendor images of the GPU and did not note any differences.

Hopefully someone will notice something that I am missing.

At this point, It seems that the GPU is dead but something else is also dead in my PC as a working GPU gets no display in my PC.
Most likely its my Motherboard or CPU but idk.

Ralston18

Titan
About all you can do is to swap known working devices in and out to narrow down potential culprits.

Even a new PSU can be faulty.

Key is to make changes only one change at a time.

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU suspect.

May 30, 2022
Will the GPU work if installed in another known working computer? Maybe your friend's build?
In my dinosaur age old (it has a i7-2600, not sure about motherboard, 650w psu) pc, there was some sort of display, it was picking something up but it was all black while with the gpu my friend let me borrow, it had display.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
So a borrowed GPU worked - correct?

Try your GPU in another known working computer to determine if the GPU works.

Also test using different video ports and video cables.

Be methodical about testing different combinations to determine what (if anything) works and what does not work.

Change only one thing at a time.