Question Error involving continuous escape key press

Cyven87

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
Hi all,

For a while I've been having an issue where my pc will be working just fine, when I'll hear the audio cue for something disconnecting/reconnecting, from which point on the system seems to believe the escape key is continuously being pressed. The only way to resolve this currently is to hold down ctrl so the windows menu is brought up and to restart my pc. After the restart it will function as normal again.

I had this happen on an older Corsair K55 keyboard, but recently I replaced it as it was conflicting with icue, and the new keyboard (GXT 881 Odyss) is having the same issue crop up. Because of this I don't think the keyboard is the issue, though I don't know what else could be causing the problem.

For the sake of completion, this is what I'm using:

GPU: EVGA 3080ti
CPU: AMD 9 5900X
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR4-3600
MoBo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX
2TB SSD
8TB HDD

Any ideas what might be causing the issue and how to resolve it?

Thank you in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried starting up without Icue? just see if its a software thing from it still.

i know how to reset a K55, it ironically uses the reset button. But that is only the hardware, not the software

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

all it does is stops non microsoft programs loading with windows, doesn't delete anything. Easy to reverse

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of days/startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

odd a corsair keyboard conflicting with Icue? in what way?

Cyven87

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
Re: K55:

After a recent update that finally got icue working properly, it started detecting the k55 and would suggest a firmware update. Except if I allowed the firmware update to happen, the keyboard would immediately start disconnecting/reconnecting at 5-10 second intervals, hardly ideal. Without the update the keyboard would generally work, but the rgb would be disabled, which is why I got the other keyboard.

I'll try the clean boot, though it'll be tough to determine what's causing the issue as currently I have no indicator for what might be causing it. There's no apparent trigger that sets it off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How often does it happen?

if its every few days, just run clean until you sure its not going to happen, and then just add 1 program at a time back to start. Giving enough time for you to be sure its not causing it.

its detecting a USB is disconnectiing. Have you tried other USB slots?
how old are other peripherals? What else do you have attached to PC?

you could have tried this to reset K55
  1. Unplug your keyboard.
  2. Hold down the FN and F4 keys and plug your keyboard back into your computer.
  3. Release the FN and F4 keys after 10 seconds. The keyboard should flash at this point.
  4. Open iCUE and update the firmware of your keyboard.
    • Ignore any incompatibility warnings that pop up.
as that removes firmware I think. It might have been a weird conflict. I had to reset mine recently

Last edited:

Cyven87

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
So regarding the K55: I have already reset the K55 multiple times and every time I update the firmware in iCUE it starts disconnecting/reconnecting. I've had this particular keyboard for 5 years, though the pc is one I built in august.

Other peripherals I have plugged in:
an XBox 360 wired controller
an XP-Pen Pro 22" tablet
a Logitech G502 mouse

I did try other USB ports after the error happened, but that didn't resolve the issue. I have switched to a different USB port now and I'm waiting to see if I'll get the error again. Failing that, I will definitely look into what software might be causing this, since this issue didn't occur until after I'd finished installing everything.

XBox 360 wired controller came out in 2005 and uses a very old usb specification. The driver tends to cause problems when connected to modern machines. You might want to disconnect the device, go into window control panel device manager and find the menu to show hidden devices. unhide them and delete the entries and reboot and see if you still have issues.

this usb viewer often can show error conditions on the usb ports.
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)

some error conditions cause the usb ports to turn on and off every 10 to 15 seconds
(for example if you charge an apple device on a standard usb port, it will pull too much current and the protection circuit will shut down the hub then reset.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS