Error message after copying and pasting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2018
Every time I copy something then try to paste it I get this message:

C:\Users\MacShat\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-09-17--23-04-05_.dmp.

I ran the memory diagnostic tool and when my RAM is on the XMP profile a hardware problem is detected. The issue I have now comes and goes meaning sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if its a RAM issue or not. I have the Corsair Vengence RGB 2x8GB 3000mHz sticks. I could use some help considering copying and pasting is pretty essential for everyday tasks.

Solution
I have had exactly the same problem as the OP.
Virtually unable to copy and paste. When I pasted I would almost always get:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-10-31--18-50-53_.dmp

With different time/date stamps at the end.

The file itself was appearing in the Temp folder, roughly 100k in size and at a rate of about one file every couple of seconds.
The dmp files themselves contained references to a Nahimic service as well as several other files.

The Nahimic service is part of Sonic Studio which is installed (in my case) along with the Asus Realtek audio driver install. I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers. This worked for a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Realtek makes the chips used by SupremeFX and MSI Audio boost 3

The most popular audio processor on today’s gaming motherboards is the Realtek ALC1150, a versatile chip that is able to deliver crisp and clear sound if implemented correctly. To get the most out of the audio processor, MSI designed Audio Boost 3.
https://www.msi.com/blog/audio-boost-3-there-is-more-in-life-than-graphics

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/187154-audio-codecs-realtek-alc892-vs-realtek-alc1150-vs-supremefx

both motherboard makers claim it has additional shielding, both have given it a different title so in essence its on many boards and there isn't any competition, unless you think a product can compete with itself. My Z97 Pro with SupremeFX uses Realtek drivers only.

So realtek makes the hardware/codecs and Nahimic makes the software. Everyone else is just rebranding to make them seem different.

@dsragonrr you posting on Nahimici forums yesterday might get an answer from them.

Nov 16, 2018

Yes I assume this is the case before I never disabled it but it would be fine sometimes and other times not. ATM its fixed but I assume temporally tho. i'll keep checking back on this thread to see if a proper solution does come out. I assume for everyone its just frustrating because its such a simple command that we take for granted. Fingers cross its all fixed very soon with an update.

Oct 31, 2018

From all the testing I've done and from comments from some other users Restarting the PC does appear to always fix the problem until the next time the PC is shutdown. Restarting, as I think colif pointed out some way back in this thread, behaves differently to a standard Windows shutdown, it restarts everything whereas the default Windows shutdown doesn't, it holds the state of various services and drivers in RAM so that the next boot/turn on is faster. Disabling fast startup in theory means that when you shutdown Windows acts more like it does when you do a restart. So it "should" work.

As you say disabling the Nahimic service will break Sonic Studio.

I was about to write that disabling fast startup continues to work on my system.. but this morning the problem has come back! I'm going to check to see whether there have been any driver/system updates since yesterday and will post back with anything I find.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On a typical win 10 PC, unless you have fast startup off, the only time a windows PC is actually off is during the restart process. So restart is exactly the same as having fast startup off. Your PC is completely off, and loads all drivers from hdd instead of ram on startup.

Fast startup on: PC saves a copy of all drivers into ram + a copy of windows kernel, and goes into a hibernate mode until you turn it "on" and it loads much faster on old hdd since its already loaded half its drivers. Works remarkable well if drivers are written to cope with it. Older drivers can have glitches. Nahimic 3 should be fine with it on since it uses UWP and was written in conjunction with Microsoft, but clearly there are problems.

With Fast startup off, the PC is actually off when you turn it off. Handy if you want to unplug PC and not corrupt the boot files.

Oct 31, 2018
@colif: Yes I'm hoping they will do something but I'm not holding my breath. People who mainly use their PC for gaming may not know they have the problem at all if they don't use copy and paste much.. Often if people do notice it, they will probably try a restart and the problem will appear to go away.
Your comment about your board not having Nahimic but still having the SupremeFX chip is interesting. Perhaps the chip is not actually the same as the one used on the 370/390 boards despite being called the same?

Update:
I restarted - On boot the problem had gone
I then shutdown and restarted 3 more times, the problem has not come back.

My other system with the HERO X is still behaving although it puts the odd dump file in there almost every day.

There have been no driver or Windows updates on my system for a few days at least.

Nahimic just need to get this sorted, it is quite annoying.

Just out of interest... between 11:56 this morning and 12:33 this afternoon (when I noticed and restarted) Nahimic had created 446 104k files in my temp folder.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am sorry, seems I don't have SupremeFX but Crystal sound 2 which is what Asus used until changing names. It is still a realtek chipset though. and uses same codecs as SupremeFX does... I am sure there are differences

Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/specifications/

but I do recall seeing different chip sets have had the name SupremeFX attached to them over the last few years.

Oct 31, 2018
I've mentioned this before but I'm on 1803 on both systems, latest updates. I tried 1809 on my previous install with the same problem.

I would only install Nahimic standalone drivers as a last resort, partly because I went down that route and ended up with having to re-install Windows (just couldn't get Sonic Studio to work again), all those drivers seem to put on the MSI version of the software which might cause problems further down the road (if they work at all) and finally, as you mention, I'm not keen on turning off driver signing.

Oct 31, 2018
I chased Asus Uk support over the weekend. Apparently their techs still cannot replicate the problem. I suspect that they are missing something - for example not testing a shutdown with fast start up enabled but obviously without actually watching them it's hard to tell! I'm not sure whether they have simply drawn a line and stopped testing.... Very frustrating.

Oct 31, 2018
After further testing I have found that there are odd occasions where a Windows restart doesn't "fix" the problem and crash dumps will still get written. This explains why disabling fast startup doesn't always work.

I've created a short vb script which can be started as a login task which warns me if dump files are being written after I login by popping up a Windows message box. I'm not sure if anyone will find it useful but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Dim fso
Dim folder
Dim File
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set folder = fso.getfolder("C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\")
fPrefix = "PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN"
For Each File in folder.Files
If fso.GetExtensionName(File)="dmp" then
fRes = instr(File,fPrefix)
If fRes <> "0" Then
Found=vbTrue
End If
End If
Next
If Found=vbTrue Then
MsgBox "*** !!!WARNING - PROBABLE NAHIMIC DUMP FILE IN TEMP FOLDER!!!! ***"
' Else
' MsgBox "File Does Not Exist"
Dim shell
Set shell = wscript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
shell.Open "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\"
End If

Copy and paste that into a text file change BOTH INSTANCES OF "YOURUSERNAME" to... your user name and save it. Change the file extension to .vbs. I would then suggest you save the file into something like "C:\Nahimic\" (Task scheduler doesn't seem to like long folder names for some reason!).

Once you've done that type Task Scheduler into the search bar and create a task to run the program at login, probably with a 10 second delay. If anyone needs more in depth instructions on this let me know.

Notes:
Sometimes Nahimic creates the odd dump file anyway. The script will Alert you about this on the next login.
Once you get the dump file problem you will need to restart and then delete all the dump files or you will keep getting alerted.
The dump file might not always have been created by the Nahimic service, the script just checks the filename and type.

Task scheduler instructions as requested:

Run up Task scheduler (Type "Task Scheduler" into the Win 10 search box)
Click on the right top panel - Create Basic Task
Type a name in,
NEXT
Click "When I log on"
NEXT
Click "Start A Program "
NEXT
Browse to the folder you put your script in and choose it. (As mentioned make sure you put it in a simple folder name like "c:\Nahimic\")
NEXT
Click the check box to open the properties dialogue
FINISH
At the bottom of the properties window "Configure for:" - choose Windows 10
Click the check box for "Run with the highest privileges"
Click the "Triggers" Tab
Select "At log on"
Click Edit
Under "Advanced settings"
Check "Delay task for:"
Choose "30 seconds" in the drop down
Edit the "30" for whatever you want... I went for 10.
Click OK
Click OK

That's it. To check it is working - right click on it and RUN it.

If there is no dump file in your temp folder then nothing will seem to happen

To check it works create a text file in the temp folder, rename it to:
"PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-11-21--10-39-14_.dmp"

Then run the task again

Nov 22, 2018
Please take this from someone that by no means is a expert in PC.

I was facing the same problem for the past 5 days and wasn't unaware it was as bad as it seemed to be, went for a solution and ended up here. Found out that since I fresh started my windows 5 days ago it have been writen 38.452 error reports from this error.

What seemed to have fixed for me was, going into Control Painel > Uninstall a program, and uninstalling Realtek audio driver.
Restarting the PC, re-checking it the the driver was there.
Right clicking Windows logo on the botton left > Settings > Apps, checking if Realtek, Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar were installed and uninstalling them if so and restarting again.
Checking again if anything was installed and if not I just installed not the latest audio driver but the second lasted for my MOBO (ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING). For some reason the latest drive wasn't coming with Sonic drivers and I believe that Windows installed one that wasn't working properly at all.
I have been running for a couple of hours and nothing bad happened and I hope it stays that way.

Cheers and good luck guys.

Oct 31, 2018
@patriot4.

This is the direction I took orginally but it caused me problems (although your exact procedure might be fine of course), either the software stopped working or didn't work properly. When I tried to put the original Nahimic enabled driver back on it didn't work and I ended up reinstalling Windows.

Does Sonic Studio all work properly for you? Can you let us know which driver you ended up using either way?

Don't forget the problem mainly shows up only when you do a hybrid Windows shutdown and then boot up again.

Nov 26, 2018

Thanks for this. I'm also having this problem. I reinstalled my Realtek drivers and it worked (at 1st) Then in about 5 days for what ever reason it starts again.

Oct 31, 2018
My Sonic Studio software auto updated tonight via the Windows App Store.

On a restart I immediately got ONE crash dump file in my temp folder.

However:

I set fast startup back on and, so far, crash dump files have stopped appearing in my temp folder and copy and paste is working!

It is worth pointing out that I have never been able to have fast startup enabled without getting the problem so this is a very hopeful sign!

Nov 26, 2018

Just updated mine and so far it is indeed working! Hopefully this will last and be the fix for everyone.

Oct 31, 2018

Note that it looks like they have addressed the problem with the new update for Sonic Studio at least so fast booting now works with the Nahimic software.

UPDATE:

Both of my PCs have been fine since the Sonic Studio update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If I knew that op had an Asus motherboard and that your solution fixed theirs, I would mark yours as solution. They might have an MSI board though and I haven't heard anything about if a software update fixes their side yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.