Error msg

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Hey im trying to install world in conflict and i keep getting an error msg whenever i try to install the game from the CD.

This is the error msg:

CRC Error: The file C:#world#wic5.sdf doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

I got this error when trying to install 3d mark 06 as well.

Is this a problem with my hardware? what can i do to fix it?

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
This sounds like a read error coming from the install medium (DVD?). You can try to clean it with soap and water or you could try to make an image of the DVD and then install it from there. Last resort would be to use another drive...
(CRC = cyclic redundancy check ; basically a checksum...)

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
i have had similar problems with bad dvds, though it's odd you also had the problem with 3dmark06. I concur, try cleaning the dvd first.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It might be the early signs of a dying DVD drive. You can pick up a new one for cheap if that ends up being it. First you may want to look for a drive cleaning kit though.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
As long as you clean the bottom not the top, yeah soap and water are fine for a disc. Just make sure it is dry before putting it back in. A good CD cleaner / resurfacer would be better though. But if the disc is not scratched do not use a resurfacer on it. Those things CAN ruin a disc, but if the disc is already ruined it is almost always worth the risk.

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
window cleaner and a non lint paper cloth(napkin or newspaper) or towel.

i have a polishing rag from when i had a saxophone and i use that to clean cd/dvd's.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
soap on your fingers under the tap. Like this you'll not scratch the disc and it will be thoroughly clean afterwards.
There is really no need for fancy pancy special cleaners...

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The only thing you need special cleaners for is to clean the inside of the CD drive.

Disk cleaners are more thorough and disk resurfacers can save some games from the trash heap.

TRENDING THREADS