Error updating firmware on Samsung 840 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I need help!

I just recently bought a new Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) SSD and I've been getting an error trying to update the firmware with the included Samsung SSD Magician software. I've tried running it as Admin, I've tried putting the update file(s) in several different folders (including an external HDD), and I still keep getting this error:

2cmm1r7.jpg

It's driving me nuts! I just want to update the <bleeping> firmware >.<

Also, I noticed during a benchmark (with that same software) that the IOPS performance is way below what was advertised. It shows my random read at just above 30k and random write at just above 15k. Is this right? I only run the benchmark around once a week so that shouldn't cause problems.

If it's a poopy SSD and I have to return it, then that's the last time I buy from newegg because I've gotten 3 faulty parts from them already and it's starting to get annoying :(

Below are my PC specs:

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R.2
CPU: AMD FX 8350 8-core @ 4Ghz (4.2Ghz Turbo Core)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost
RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 1600Mhz Cas8
Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256 GB); 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm (500GB)
PSU: Corsair HX850

UPDATE: I just fixed (I think?) the performance issues by disabling indexing on the drive, which I though the Magician software already did. Now the random read is up around 60k and write about 40k. It's still not as fast as the advertised speeds, is that normal or did I get jipped :(

Still having issues with the update though!!

G

Just tried that twice, the second time i cleaned up leftover files with CCleaner after the reboot then installed the software again. Same issue.

madmonkey

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi
I just got a Samsung 840 250GB SSD (not Pro), and I am having the exact same problem - can't update the firmware. I've even tried secure-erase and everything nothing just get similar error i.e. failed to update this drive etc.

I have tried this on a win 8 laptop, and have set the Magician software to run in Win 7 compatibility mode and Run as an administrator. I also have connected the drive to the USB3 port so I could clone my HDD to the new SSD after I had upgraded the firmware. :cry:

Might try it on my Win 7 laptop - see if it works

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi,

I have the same: Samsung 840 250gb (not pro). I have been debating whether or not I should even attempt a firmware update.
I have been reading contradictory articles about these firmwares. I also read somewhere that the magic tool and/or magician tool are not good softwares.
Overall, I find the Samsung's customer page a little unwelcome. I tried creating an account on the Canadian site and it keeps giving me an error!.....

In any case, now I am more scared to update the firmware after reading your articles here.

madmonkey

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
My experience with the 250GB Samsung 840 drive (not PRO) is not good at the moment. I am in the process of sending one back to store, and have finally managed to setup the replacement one which behaves exactly as the first one did i.e. can't upgrade firmware, can't clone disk, can't do anything with it.

My conclusion though is as follows:
The supplied Samsung Software is rubbish, as I was able to clone the old disk to the SSD using EASEUS software. In the end I installed OS (Win 8) from scratch as didn't want to clone all the partitions from original disk to my tiny 250GB SSD.

Also the firmware can only be updated if the drive is connected to the SATA port - Samsung support told me to do this, not good if you have no spare port though!

Latin

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
i am having a similar problem. I cannot update the firmware. The damn magician tool cannot see my files properly and absolutely refuses to see the downloaded firmware file!

I am getting the correct read/write stats however I am getting weird windows crashes every now and then when I try to restor backed up games on steam. I also am getting intermittent sound distortions when playing films or audio files?

I have run HD tool and it says my drive is fine!! (It is not, although I wonder if I should try another windows (7) reinstall!)

I have a gigabyte 970A-D3 mobo that has a shitty sata controller tho. When I tried updating the firmware on my force 3 SSD I had to wack it in my partners tower which has a 970-DS3 which did it first time with no ish!

sitaramp

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I am having the same issue. Samsung support said to use SATA port.
I tried SATA port, it still fails.

Update: I was able upgrade firmware using USB boot method.
Note I am upgrading an 840 (non pro) from firmware DXT06B0Q to DXT07B0Q

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Silly question to ask (queue the tomato throwing and for sh!&s and giggles) but is the SSD installed on the Intel Sata ports and is AHCI configured in the mobo BIOS?

I have the same drive and managed to update the firmware without incident, what is your current version of F/W?

Edit: Spelling and grammar

Well this is certainly interesting.

1. I just visited the Samsung web site. There are no firmware updates for the 840 or 840 Pro. I didn't see any when I checked the official downloads for the 840 and 840 Pro. On the outside possibility I made a mistake or looked at the wrong pages could someone post a link to firmware updates for the 840 and 840 Pro?

2. mad-max79 is spot on. You can use a bootable USB Thumb Drive to perform a firmware update. I can confirm that it works. However, since there might not be any firmware updates for the 840 and 840 Pro it might be a moot point.

EDIT - OOPS! I made a mistake. Found the Dec 2012 firmware update in the link madmonkey provided.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hi JohnnyLucky....

I came across this link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC256N/AM

As for the update, I successfully used the Samsung Magician Software however there is a usb option if so desired within the app.

Edit: Corrected the link

Edit#2:

Model Name Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series
Manufacturer Samsung
Firmware Version DXM04B0Q

My F/W is not listed on the above link....????

Edit#3:

Apologies for all of the edits, but I found another link with more detail:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Kept looking. Found firmware update issued on January 19th, 2013.

Here is some important info:

CXM03B1QRelease Date: 2012-01-19Release Note

-Improved compatibility and stability of Firmware Update Tool. (Fixed update scheme from previously released CXM02B1Q firmware package)

- Features and functionalities are identical to previous CXM02B1Q firmware.

- Added optimized firmware update package for each update solution (Windows, USB, CD) Windows update folder name: Win_CXM03B1Q Bootable USB or CD/DVD folder name: USB_CD_CXM03B1Q Precautions during Windows-based firmware update:

- Use Windows-optimized firmware update package (contained in folder Win_CXM03B1Q)

- For the firmware update scheme to take effect, the PC must be turned OFF and then rebooted (a cold reboot). (Some computers may still receive power even when the system is powered OFF. For these machines, unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet).

- As with any update, it is highly recommended that you BACK UP your data before completing the update to avoid any unforeseen data loss.

- Before firmware update, it is highly recommended that all other applications and processes are closed/quit.Precautions during DOS-based firmware update:

- Use Magician to create a bootable USB drive or CD containing the DOS-based firmware update tool. The DOS-optimized firmware update package must be used (contained in folder USB_CD_CXM03B1Q)

- Some graphics cards may have difficulty displaying certain characters within the update tool. In this case, enter ''Y'' three (3) consecutive times and the firmware update will proceed.

- Older motherboards may not support booting from USB.

Dreamin

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Install the latest version of the Intel SATA driver from here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29

The link to the 12/3/12 version of the driver isn't working. I installed the 9/13/12 driver (file "iata_enu.exe") and it allowed me to upgrade to firmware version 4B0Q, which would crash before installing the updated intel driver - exactly as OP.

It also significantly increased my write performance.

I did not uninstall anything. I just installed the intel driver. The driver shows up as "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" in Control Panel/Programs. I did not have this driver before I installed it (meaning an older version of the driver).

MyVols

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
i had tried several things to update the firmware, but couldnt..i finally tried one more thing and it worked great. i uninstalled my sata controller, driver too when asked. i had amd sata controller per amd board. i re-booted and windows 7 installed default ahci controller ( msahci ). after that i re-booted again to make sure it installed correctly. i tried again to update the firmware and it did without a hitch. after firmware update i re-installed back the latest amd sata controller and pc is running fine. hope this help some people...
Vols

zinst

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks MyVols, worked for me! Windows 7 kept re-installing the AMD SATA driver, so I had to uninstall the AMD Catalyst software, then restart the computer & uninstall the AMD SATA driver, then restart again & windows installed the default driver.
Then I successfully upgraded the firmware using Samsung Magician.

mackaycs

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

I can confirm that tis solution worked. I wasn't sure if the drivers from the links were right so I searched on Intel site for related drivers:

Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22824/eng/Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22824&DownloadType=Drivers&ProductID=3467&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+USB+3.0+eXtensible+Host+Controller+Driver&keyword=intel+8+series+c220

SetupRST.exe:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?
httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23496/eng/SetupRST.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23496&ProductID=2101

Pretty sure you dont need the USB one but thought may as well update latest on that while I was there, so it looks like it's the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver" that when updated allows the Samsung Magician software to talk properly to the SSD.

I'd also note that I was unable to check that the drive was genuine (next to the serial number in Magician software) until I upgraded the Intel driver. Makes me think it just couldn't communicate properly with the SSD.

Thank you everyone on this forum, some very good help.

Collapse22

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
From the very beginning, I want to say sorry for my terrible english...

All my hardware is AMD:
CPU: FX8350
Motherboard: GA970A-D3>chipset 970
Grafic card: R9 270x

Well, I have a SSD samsung 840 evo 120GB. And I was passing through the same problem. I was having issues to upgrade my firmware with Samsung Magician, it was giving me the massege "samsung ssd magician firmware update failed on the selected drive"..
I was getting crazy and all my OS and BIOS was right properly configured, like it is in sata 3, AHCI activated in bios, etc.

The solution to me was put BIOS sata control in IDE mode, then boot the OS, execute Samsung magician and upgrade the firmware and the machine will reboot. When it does it, you can go to the bios e put AHCI back again, that everything is done :D...
It worked for me with a AMD rig, that everyone says that Samsung does not support, does not support the chipset I mean(it's true).

Now I'm enjoying my Samsung ssd 840 evo with the last firmware running realy fast

ivanbqnov

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have Samsung 840 Evo 120GB on a Gigabyte H87M-HD3 Mainboard
with the same updating issue... I disabled the SATAs that are not in use (also finally my CPU video that I don't use - I thought that the guys from the firm that assembled the PC did it when testing it, but they apparently didn't bother)... and it worked fine...

fullonshred

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Samsung SSD840 in an AMD based system/motherboard. W7 Premium 64 bit OS. Same firmware update errors as mentioned above.

Solution mentioned above worked for me.

Un-installed and deleted the AMD AHCI Controller Driver through the Device Manager.

Rebooted. Windows 7 64 bit automatically installed the Microsoft AHCI Driver.

Rebooted. Ran Samsung Magician Firmware Update again. It worked perfectly with the Microsoft AHCI Driver installed. Shut down computer completely.

Cold Booted and verified latest Samsung 840 series Firmware was installed.

Windows asked for one more reboot. Did that.

System now updated and functioning perfectly.

Thanks to myvols info above. Seems pretty clear that Samsung Magician Firmware Update does not work well (or at all?) with the AMD AHCI Driver installed.

As soon as I switched to the Microsoft AHCI Driver all went smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.