Error when trying to delete file - "This item is no longer located in (location), verify the items location and try again"

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
So, there's this annoying bug in Windows or whatever it is that if you do some fiddling around with files while deleting them, it gives you the error "This item is no longer located in (location), verify the item's location and try again"
I got this once and I deleted it using Cmd by loading it as admin, doing cd (the location the ghost folder is at), dir/a/x/p, it would show a short name for it, then REN (short name for file, ex BACKUP~1) randomnamehere
Then lastly, I deleted it with DEL (new name)

Then it happened again, tried doing the same method, no longer works for no reason.
Any other methods?

Solution

Seems most of the issues come from when something creates files with non-standard characters like a space at the end or a period at the end without a file extention http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/folder-delete-error-no-longer-located-in/acb93ece-84d5-47ac-b4a4-8fd35410fa23?auth=1

Doing a rmdir command on the directory seems to...

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

No, it's actually on my main 160GB hard drive. this happened when i installed the temporary 250gb hdd to put a big backup file on until I got my brand new 1tb western digital hdd in a few days and then once the backup copied to the bigger hdd, i wanted to delete the backup on the main hard drive but then it came with the error, I think that's how it went, but no its not on that one, it's on my main one

Does not sound like a bug, you should not be doing anything to files as you are deleting them. Anytime you do disk operations, and then start changing things while that is going on, you are going to see strange things. Try shutting down a system if the middle of a restore or Windows update and you'll see, you are likely to end up with a non-booting system.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
No, but when it finished copying to the other hdd, i tried to delete it off my main hdd, I didn't do it while copying the files or whatever you mean.

And it does seem like a bug. How is it it not located if im clearly seeing it infront of my eyes?

You need to post what you were doing when you were moving the files, you said you " you do some fiddling around with files while deleting them", which is not copying but deleting, and what is the fiddling that you were doing while you were deleting them? Not very clear as to what you did. I've seen moved files still show up in the original locations, but that always happened when something was not right with the system, either a failing hard drive, corrupted files or rights issues, something not normal.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
I just explained it to you on my last comment. Copied a backup from my main HDD to another one, deleted it on the main hard drive and there are remaining parts of it I can't delete.
And I just noticed that it's not the entire backup. It's not the folders fault. It's the contents inside of it of folders of videos I rendered for my YouTube channel that don't want to delete.

Seems most of the issues come from when something creates files with non-standard characters like a space at the end or a period at the end without a file extention http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/folder-delete-error-no-longer-located-in/acb93ece-84d5-47ac-b4a4-8fd35410fa23?auth=1

Doing a rmdir command on the directory seems to work as does using a wild card to delete all files in the directory.

Solution

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Alright, guess I'll try that soon