Error when upgrading to Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticgeekify

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hello,
Today i tried to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. As i was impatient i downloaded the media creation tool and attempted to upgrade from there. Everything goes perfect right up till it restarts and starts copying files. My computer suddenly turns off during this phase. (Did it at 3% , 14% and 30%). When i turn my laptop back on it reverts back to Windows 8.1.

My first thought was overheating however normally when i turn my laptop back on it tells me that. This time i was not told it. I also have a cooling pad too prevent my laptop from getting too warm.

Once the laptop has booted into Windows it tells me the following:
0xC1900101 - 0x2000c & The installation failed in the SAFE_OS mode phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation

i have tried to install 3 times now!
Does anyone have any suggestions upon what to do?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Did you run Windows Update before attempting to install Windows 10? There might be some very critical updates waiting for you before taking the plunge to Windows 10, and lacking these could cause you some major issues with installation.

-JP

If you frequently have heating issues, just an added note, you shouldn't use a cooling pad. It typically doesn't get adequate air flow going, and because it pulls extra power from the PC, it causes more heat to build up inside. It is best you avoid using any kind of cooling like that.

You also might try saving it to a USB drive, and then running the upgrade off of that. It could be there is a problem with how it is saving the image to your C: Drive.

You are right, it isn't much, but it still adds up. Assuming the system doesn't have a dedicated GPU and just uses a single relatively modern CPU with an iGPU, he probably has about a 35 W TDP from the CPU, an extra 4 W from the chpiset, and another 1 W from the fans, in a space with very little airflow. Having it sit on there to let the air flow unrestricted is fine, but ever watt counts in these restricted form factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.