[SOLVED] Errors in creating system image

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi,

I've been trying to create a system image for my C drive (C and D are separate physical drives) - each time I try to do a system image, i get a "bad sector" error and it aborts. I ran "Error Checking" on the C drive from the Properties as well as Disk Doctor, but neither found any issues. I accidentally blew out an image backup I had before this all happened, but was able to successfully create a system image back up once since this started happening (who knows if that has issues). I've mainly used Aomei backer upper for this, but I did try another program with the same outcome.

Does this mean that there is some corruption on the system drive? I haven't seen any wonky behavior. Anything I can do to fix this that's not too radical?

Here's the error I keep getting:
Backup is initializing...

Checking volumes...

Backing up the information of storage device...

Backing up of the volume 0...

Backing up data...

Backing up of the volume 0 done.

Backing up of the volume 1 (C: )...

Backing up data...

Information Code:33

Failed to read sector (with bad sector).

Thanks

Solution
It's a Samsung SSD 850 EVO series M.2

I downloaded from the Samsung site something called Samsung Magician Software for Consumer, which says it supports the above drive. https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Regrettably when I choose Diagnostic Scan it says "The selected drive does not support this feature." !!!

Any other way I could check this?

Both Error Checking from the properties and WinDoctor show no issues.

Thanks
Not really for error checking, although CrystalDiskInfo gives you all the significant SMART data unlike Magician (which also only does error scans on my SATA and not NVMe Samsung drives). That link is to the x64 program download.

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Try using the free version of Macrium Reflect, it really is a great program that will clone or backup. I use the backup myself and schedule incremental backups to an NAS.
I may try that, but in addition to Aomei, I've also used the image creation tool for iDrive, and that failed too, so wondering if there is an issue with the system SSD, although I haven't experienced any particular issues and the error checker doesn't seem to find anything. Wondering if there is a more thorough way to check the SSD.

RealBeast

Titan
I may try that, but in addition to Aomei, I've also used the image creation tool for iDrive, and that failed too, so wondering if there is an issue with the system SSD, although I haven't experienced any particular issues and the error checker doesn't seem to find anything. Wondering if there is a more thorough way to check the SSD.
If the brand of SSD has a toolbox on the support site of the manufacturer, download that and run it. Examples: Samsung Magician, Intel. Kingston, ADATA Toolboxes, and the SanDisk SSD Dashboard, etc. Some have testing and if they do best to run the long test.

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016

I downloaded from the Samsung site something called Samsung Magician Software for Consumer, which says it supports the above drive. https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Regrettably when I choose Diagnostic Scan it says "The selected drive does not support this feature." !!!

Thanks

If the brand of SSD has a toolbox on the support site of the manufacturer, download that and run it. Examples: Samsung Magician, Intel. Kingston, ADATA Toolboxes, and the SanDisk SSD Dashboard, etc. Some have testing and if they do best to run the long test.

RealBeast

Titan

Thanks
Not really for error checking, although CrystalDiskInfo gives you all the significant SMART data unlike Magician (which also only does error scans on my SATA and not NVMe Samsung drives). That link is to the x64 program download.

Solution

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Downloaded it and ran it, but not sure what I should be looking for...

Should I run chkdsk /f /r or chkdsk /r on the system drive to do a checkup and fix? Would that be risky?

thanks

RealBeast

Titan
Downloaded it and ran it, but not sure what I should be looking for...

Should I run chkdsk /f /r or chkdsk /r on the system drive to do a checkup and fix? Would that be risky?

thanks
No, not risky but can't hurt and may or may not give you any more information than AOEMI. You might want to drag and drop any important data files to somewhere else also.

When I have any real strange issues with SSDs of any type, I usually do a secure erase and reinstall, radical but often effective. I do use Macrium to automatically backup to an NAS though so a rebuild is pretty easy.

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi @RealBeast - I'm looking at Macrium. With Aomei it defaults to incremental backups. Macrium seems to default to differential. Should I change it to incremental (it looks like that is what you are using)?

Thanks

(Oops might be a moot point - Macrium free allows differential but not incremental)

USAFRet

Titan
Hi @RealBeast - I'm looking at Macrium. With Aomei it defaults to incremental backups. Macrium seems to default to differential. Should I change it to incremental (it looks like that is what you are using)?

Thanks
Differential vs Incremental is all up to you.

Differential = larger images over time. But you only need the relevant Differential and the associated Full.
Incremental images are faster to create, but you need ALL of the Incrementals plus the associated Full.

Reactions: spodeworld