esata bootable external enclosure or converter

edencorbin

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I am wanting to use an esata port on my laptop to boot from. Let's assume this is doable (via the bios/etc). The question I have here is on the hardware side. I have seen esata to sata converter cables, but these wouldn't provide power to the drive. Most of the hard drive enclosures I have pulled up are esata in usb out (which won't work). What is the hardware I would need to power a sata ssd drive and convert its output to esata so I can plug it in my laptop? Thanks.

Solution
That first cable does not say this explicitly, but it MAY be taking advantage of a newer non-standard version of eSATA called eSATAp. Its is some combination connector system that is supposed to allow connection from a single host port to either an eSATA or a USB device, and so it does carry 5V and 12 VDC supply lines. I say this might be the case since the cable ends in BOTH a SATA data connector and a SATA power connector. Thus you can plug both into the back of a SATA device and it claims to supply the power needed. Note that it tells you it can supply enough power for an SSD or a small laptop hard drive, but not any device that needs more than 0.5 amps. (The note mistakenly says 5 V, but must mean 0.5 A, the limit of power from a...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The issue you are stumbling over is that eSATA never had any provision to provide power to the eSATA device, whereas USB does. The solution is not difficult. Any external enclosure that includes an eSATA interface also ought to come with a power supply module. You plug that into a wall outlet and connect it to the enclosure. THEN the drive inside has power, and you can use either type of interface to your computer.

Actually, for many external drive enclosures, the unit does NOT operate when only a USB2 connection cable is attached. The problem there is that, although USB2 can provide power to the external device, that power is limited. And MOST hard drive units (except low-power units designed for laptops) need more power than they can get from a USB2 connection. So even using the USB2 interface, most external hard drives in enclosures need that extra power supply module connected up.

By the way, those converter cables have exactly the same issue. Any converter that looks like a simple connector that plugs into the back of the SATA drive with a data cable to the computer, ALSO must come with a power supply module. Otherwise that SATA drive has no power.

edencorbin

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Thanks for all the info. So, this one looks like it provides no power AND uses the power point, IE will not work:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2JX4TF1172&cm_re=esata_to_sata-_-9SIA2JX4TF1172-_-Product

Instead I should use any hard drive enclosure that provides power (I have a USB one that does that. And instead of plugging in the sata connection, use something like this plugged into my laptop (ESATA):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3AR4XE1003&cm_re=esata_to_sata-_-9SIA3AR4XE1003-_-Product

I think that should work (assuming the computer supports booting from it).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That first cable does not say this explicitly, but it MAY be taking advantage of a newer non-standard version of eSATA called eSATAp. Its is some combination connector system that is supposed to allow connection from a single host port to either an eSATA or a USB device, and so it does carry 5V and 12 VDC supply lines. I say this might be the case since the cable ends in BOTH a SATA data connector and a SATA power connector. Thus you can plug both into the back of a SATA device and it claims to supply the power needed. Note that it tells you it can supply enough power for an SSD or a small laptop hard drive, but not any device that needs more than 0.5 amps. (The note mistakenly says 5 V, but must mean 0.5 A, the limit of power from a USB2 connection.) What the description does not tell you clearly is that it can only work IF your host computer has one of these non-standard eSATAp ports on it. Unless you are SURE that it does, the cable cannot do what you want.

The second cable probably won't do what you expect - it allows you to connect an eSATA device to a normal mobo SATA port. I guess in reverse, it might allow you to connect from the data port of a SATA device like an SSD to the eSATA port of a host computer. As you say, though, you still would need a way to provide power to the SSD via the rest of a USB2 system. The problem I anticipate there is that, once you plug in a USB2 cable, the computer will expect to move the data along that system, too, and will not allow data to flow in and out of the external enclosure on a different data port.

What you really need is an external dock or enclosure with an eSATA interface (plus USB often) suitable for an SSD or larger SATA device, and with some suitable power supply arrangement.

A DOCK is a unit that connects to your computer and has one or two open slots for you to insert your drive. They are designed so it is easy to remove the drive and put it back, or to change from one drive unit to another. Some examples with USB3 and eSATA here

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008040%20600006258%20600006288%20600077276&IsNodeId=1&Description=external%20enclosure%202%2E5%20sata&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=36

The Startech unit is more expensive and has a fan to cool the drive - I doubt you need that for an SSD. Many are priced around $40 including the white Vantec unit lower down. The Orico unit at top is on sale cheap, but it says it is designed for SATA I and II units, which may mean it can not deliver the very fastest performance of the most modern SSD units. All come with their own power supply modules and USB and eSATA cables.

An ENCLOSURE is a closed box for a single drive unit. You open it up, install your drive, and close it. Removing the drive or changing to a different one is not so simple and not really the intention of this device. Hunting around a bit I found this example by SANS Digital

https://www.amazon.com/Sans-Digital-TowerSTOR-2-5-Inch-TS21UT/dp/B00I9RHM2U/ref=sr_1_104?ie=UTF8&qid=1499834050&sr=8-104&keywords=external+enclosure+esata

It comes with its own power supply module and USB3 and eSATA cables, and supports the faster SATA 6.0 Gb/s drive design.

I note that SOME Enclosures with both interfaces do not come with their own power supply modules. But many of them are designed to work if you plug in both the USB and eSATA cables. They draw power for their drive from the USB port of the host. Although that is limited somewhat, that IS enough power to supply a SSD unit, but not a large HDD. But watch from a particular detail on those. Some use a USB3 cable, which actually can connect to a USB2 port, and that would work. But some use an older technique - they supply a special USB2 cable with TWO connectors on one end, and you are supposed to plug BOTH of those into two separate USB2 ports on your computer to get enough power. I don't know if you would want to do that on your laptop. Anyway, for that type of enclosure design, the USB cable connection is used for power even when you are using the eSATA connection for data access. The advantage of that design is that you don't have to use a "power brick", but you do have to use TWO cable connections between the enclosure and your laptop.

Solution