[SOLVED] ESD strap and mat guidance

Mar 3, 2020
I’ve got the ifixt ESD mat and I’ve got their ESD wrist strap. A friend gave them to me since he never felt the need to use them (which was an odd impulse buy), and I’m going to be building several PCs in the near future. How do I go about using them both together and properly? I’ve looked it up and many people seem to disagree about which method is the safest and most proper for true zero potential. I figure since I have both the mat and wrist strap already and there’s no cost involved in getting them, might as well figure out how to do it, right? Walk me through the correct procedure to properly and safely ground myself either from your experience or what you observe to be the best method, and i’ll be very happy lol. thanks in advance guys

side note - I also understand that these tools are not fully necessary. A decent humidity level, wood table, no carpet, cotton clothing, and no jewelry/metal on your body will most likely keep you safe enough as to never experience an issue. I may not even end up using these tools for the builds I'm doing within the coming months, I'd just like to know for the future since I've got them already.

Mar 3, 2020
May as well follow ifixit's instructions:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+set+up+your+Anti-static+mat+and+wristband/78998

Basically you just ground the mat to an earth ground, then attach/set anything on the mat to ground it too.

I agree with your logic that, while unnecessary, might as well try it for free.
thanks man! i'll make sure to check this guide out, i dont know how it slipped past me when ifixit is literally all about posting guides on how to use things haha.

Reactions: Gam3r01