ESET Praises Windows 8 Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Wow, every comment about Windows 8 is stunningly negative, even without thinking
I suppose Microsoft should not even try then, eh? Let's not bother doing anything to stop malware? Give me a break

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
In addition to ELAM, Windows 8 also contains UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). The security component requires digitally signed firmware to be utilized during boot-up so it can prevent rootkits.

This is a somewhat inaccurate statement. Rootkits are installed on the harddisk and load as part of or before the OS which is what makes them dangerous. Rootkits aren't firmware (and before UEFI the old BIOSes were so indiosyncratic few viruses were written for them). UEFI can allow only a signed driver's to run but the functionality isn't enabled by default on most setups and most systems don't run UEFI (although I'm sure this will start changing soon).

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Not many people are going to use Windows 8 when compared to windows XP, Vista, and 7. So not many people are going to write malware for a "walled garden" OS and waste their time when it will most likely have very little market share and almost nothing worth stealing on most systems.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I don't need this crap because I don't use Internet Explorer and I'm a little smarter than that...
So... How can I disable it along with the disabled start bar? >_>

[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]Not many people are going to use Windows 8 when compared to windows XP, Vista, and 7. So not many people are going to write malware for a "walled garden" OS and waste their time when it will most likely have very little market share and almost nothing worth stealing on most systems.[/citation]
I see lots of "Walled Garden" talk yet you still have everything on the desktop you wanted. The metro apps are that way, but it sure beats having tons of junk installed and running constantly.

Out on the desktop side, you can do whatever the hell you want to do anyway.

Did you ever try Win8?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I don't need this crap because I don't use Internet Explorer and I'm a little smarter than that...So... How can I disable it along with the disabled start bar? >_>[/citation]Heck, I don't even know why Google pays people to find flaws in Chrome. It's stupid because Chrome is FLAWLESS and there is no possible attack vector if you use Chrome! /sarcasm

Here's a thought: Most users click on any link you send them via Facebook etc. There are vulnerabilities in lots of software, including browsers. Why disable the extra security? Why ding MS for making Windows 8 even more secure than the already-quite-decent Windows 7? Why complain about IE when recent versions are actually pretty secure and not too shabby overall, for a stock browser. Especially IE10 on Win8. For a lot of typical users, these are good improvements to have, even if they never see them.

It sounds like you want them to write an OS designed for the elite few, capable of securing/policing their own machines and networks, which is silly.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Wow, every comment about Windows 8 is stunningly negative, even without thinking[/citation]
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, home of the "I hate everything and everything's too expensive for my allowance" commenters.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Wow, every comment about Windows 8 is stunningly negative, even without thinking[/citation]
Because hating Apple has become too mainstream.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So much hate towards Windows 8, with "Zomg metro sucks" and "windows 7 forevah" comments.

If you don't like the replacement of the start menu, then feel free to not upgrade.

Those that have been coming here for 10+ years will all learn to use windows 8, just like we learned Windows 7, vista, xp, 98 (thank god we skipped millenium) etc... etc...

IT is about adapting to change to meet or exceed your customers (the rest of your corporations) demands. When your VP walks up to you and sais "hey I saw so and so with a windows surface tablet, can I get one instead of an ipad?" Unless its Tim Cook asking, you better say yes. If you start saying "no" before a product has even been launched, you sign your own termination slip.

Food for thought.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Good, this is what I was hoping would be included.I just hope it supports other antivirus/antimalware solutions at launch like Avast.[/citation]
Avast? Really? What a bloated piece of crap. I sure hope you don't rely on that nasty scareware riddled PoS.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I suppose Microsoft should not even try then, eh? Let's not bother doing anything to stop malware? Give me a break[/citation]
They've been trying for 20 years. They had an anti-virus scanner in MS-DOS 6 (1992). As a former Windows sysadmin I learned to ignore their marketing BS long ago and that of "independent" third parties and reporters. Now that Ballmer wants to be like Apple I'm not expecting an improvement in accuracy: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Stevew-Ballmer-Windows-8-Surface-Apple-Windows-Phone-8,18302.html

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]They've been trying for 20 years. They had an anti-virus scanner in MS-DOS 6 (1992). As a former Windows sysadmin I learned to ignore their marketing BS long ago and that of "independent" third parties and reporters. Now that Ballmer wants to be like Apple I'm not expecting an improvement in accuracy: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/S [...] 18302.html[/citation]

Although I agree with this in the enterprise space I would argue that they have made huge strides in the home user space. Remember back when XP came with no antivirus and the firewall was turned off by default? Most of the OEM's that included security software had it expire after 60 days with no further updates. Win8 now comes with the firewall turned on and a halfway decent antivirus scanner.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Avast? Really? What a bloated piece of crap. I sure hope you don't rely on that nasty scareware riddled PoS.[/citation]

What would you recommend?

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]UEFI will be there to ensure no illegal copies of Windows will be installed, under the cover of security improvement.[/citation]

Yeah, ask Apple how that worked for them...PCs (mobos) that didnt even have an EFI bios had bootable OSX installations (that supposedly would only install on an Apple PC with an EFI chip) with very little difficulty---and the OSx86 community is far smaller than the community cracking win 8 activation.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]Yeah, ask Apple how that worked for them...PCs (mobos) that didnt even have an EFI bios had bootable OSX installations (that supposedly would only install on an Apple PC with an EFI chip) with very little difficulty---and the OSx86 community is far smaller than the community cracking win 8 activation.[/citation]

Kaspersky and ESET were always my favs.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Avast? Really? What a bloated piece of crap. I sure hope you don't rely on that nasty scareware riddled PoS.[/citation]

What the hell are you on about?
Total install is what - 100MB?

And it is bloated - Bloated with features.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Does this mean SecuROM will fail to function due to the fact its a poorly written rootkit?

Also talk about the worst salesman ever. He represents an Anti-Virus company. Yet not once did he mention how awesome ESET NOD32 is. Which it is. He also mentions a competitor product Microsoft Security Essentials.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
What drugs are you on?! Avast has been one of the best, most lightweight AV's since version 5.

You think MSE is better? Oh let me tell you about the first time I tried MSE: I scanned my flashdrive and it deleted ALL the data on it (over 3GB)

I had to use data recovery software to get it back. Now Windows 8 is coming with MSE (disguised as Windows Defender) by default? I say good luck, you're gonna need it. As for me, if/when I upgrade to Windows 8, the first thing I'll be doing is uninstalling MSE.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So much hate towards Windows 8, with "Zomg metro sucks" and "windows 7 forevah" comments. If you don't like the replacement of the start menu, then feel free to not upgrade.Those that have been coming here for 10+ years will all learn to use windows 8, just like we learned Windows 7, vista, xp, 98 (thank god we skipped millenium) etc... etc...IT is about adapting to change to meet or exceed your customers (the rest of your corporations) demands. When your VP walks up to you and sais "hey I saw so and so with a windows surface tablet, can I get one instead of an ipad?" Unless its Tim Cook asking, you better say yes. If you start saying "no" before a product has even been launched, you sign your own termination slip.Food for thought.[/citation]
Personally, I see the argument as more of an economic one, that is, Windows 8 sales being high enough to call it a success.

From the "I have a software product to sell you" side, IT is about innovating. However, in companies that use software both large and small, IT is about justifying the cost and time involved when considering whether to upgrade a company's preferred OS.

Most company IT departments just completed an upgrade to 7 from NT. I highly doubt that at this point that a sufficiently large number of companies will be found saying, "Gee, we just upgraded to 7, and 8 is so much cooler, better, and cost-effective that we should upgrade to 8" because of the cost factor - not only in terms of purchase price, but in how much it will cost in person-hours to transition an entire company to 8. Transitioning a company from one OS to another is a BIG endeavor. As such, I doubt 8 will sell very well to businesses; it is simply too big of an expense in time and money after just having upgraded to 7.

Those companies that do go to 8 will probably go there from NT unless there is just some monumental improvement in 8 that the business IT world cannot survive without. From even positive reviews of 8, we all know that no such monumental improvement is to be found anywhere in 8.

Like it or not, I think it is unlikely that 8 will be a commercial success especially without the largest share of users, that is, business users, buying in because they all just completed an upgrade to 7.

Please feel free to rave about 8 as you like; however, please also remember that without the business world's buy-in, no OS can be successful. IMHO, either Windows 9 or Windows 10 is likely to be the next "successful" Windows release because by that time, the business world will be able to justify the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.