Ethereum Gold Rush Wanes As Price Plummets, Mining Difficulty Skyrockets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, exactly as I said 2 weeks ago Ethereum mining is inadvisable. There are other coins that remain profitable, however I have always made more money from trading. So I am still hashing away at Zcash, and will be using my coins in trade until it is doubled, tripled, etc.

However, there is a huge panic going on as weekend warriors fold like a cheap tablecloth. There is about to be a huge glut in the used GPU market which will drive prices down.

If you are about to buy a graphics card, DON'T!
Wait at least two weeks. You will thank me later. Waiting for Vega is a very smart move, even if you hate AMD. 1060's will drop from $300+ to below $200. 1070's will be $300. Mark my words.

Imre_2

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Only in America and some other parts of the world Dubai ; some Asias , prices are good. Its got to be fixed.
UK price the cards the same at America but in their currency its rubbish.
I stay in Africa - the guys double or triple the prices here.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Very frustrating in recent weeks to buy a GPU for gaming purposes.
The good news is there should be alot of cheap 2nd-hand GPUs on the market in the coming months.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Honestly, I don't know if I'd trust a 2nd-hand GPU that was used for mining since they're used 24/7 at 100% GPU usage.

At least new retail cards should come back down to normal prices finally.

InvalidError

Titan

Ethereum is memory-bound, it doesn't push GPUs anywhere near 100%. Even if it did, reasonably well cooled GPUs with a clean PSU should still last many years. I used my HD5770 for seven years and it was under load 24/7 for half of that time. Still worked fine by the time I decided to upgrade to a GTX1050.

Manufacturing defects notwithstanding, most GPUs will outlive their useful life when taken good care of.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

One of the more popular ETH algorithms is Claymore's dual miner, which mines a 2nd cryptocurrency (one that is compute bound) simultaneously while mining ETH. That would probably pin the GPU at 100%.

That being said, I do agree that simply being at 100% use for an extended period of time shouldn't drastically reduce the card's lifetime. However, I'm not sure if some of the custom mining BIOSs out there may disable some of the automatic thermal/power throttling self protection features of the card. If so, I'd maybe be a bit worried about the card's longevity, but I really don't know if that's the case.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014

Coin miners are looking for a quick buck no miner is going to take their time to build a properly ventilated and built rig. They will most likely stuff them all in a card board box with couple holes made with a pencil. They are not system builders which take creating systems as work of art.

bloodroses

Distinguished

That's the biggest thing, miners will not take care of the hardware properly. They are just looking at the quickest, cheapest way to make a buck. It's like buying a used car. If the car was well taken care of, it will last. If it was constantly 'ragged' on during that time, problems will start to show up.

InvalidError

Titan

Most remotely serious coin mining setups I have seen have their systems open-air on wire mesh racks with GPUs hanging zip-tied under the shelves and connected to the host system via USB-to-PCIe bridges so a single entry-level system can host 6+ GPUs. No chassis whatsoever to get in the way of airflow and way more space between GPUs than in a conventional PC.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Don't confuse difficulty with value.

As for supply, Bitcoin works that way, but Ethereum has built-in inflation. For 2017, the supply will increase by 14.75%, but the inflation rate will gradually drop each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethereum#Ether_supply_increase_rate

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Hey there, first post. I'm guessing your mining rig isn't paid off, yet? Or maybe you're sitting on a pile of ETH that you bought or failed to sell when it was higher?

Check out what I said about inflation. This is not like Bitcoin - the inflation is a feature designed to combat hoarding and excessive speculation. The only way it goes up, in the long term, is if its usage skyrockets.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Depends on how long they were planning on mining. Remember that replacing failed GPUs costs money, which hits their profit margins. And that improving ventilation means they can probably clock a bit higher.

So, while I wouldn't count on a miner to use a well-ventilated setup, I think it's more likely than the cardboard box scenario.

InvalidError

Titan

High-end GPUs have horrible cost per hash for Ethereum and that will get worse as the hash block grows. Also, at MSRP, you'd be able to buy two RX470/480/570/580 for Vega's cost. Vega won't be anywhere near twice as fast at mining Ethereum and Scrypt-based currencies, so miners will continue chasing mid-range GPUs as the better $/hash option.

Status
Not open for further replies.