[SOLVED] "Ethernet 2" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration ISSUE

Jan 14, 2021
Hi, I am using ethernet via my router to my PC. It was working fine yesterday, however after moving my PC to a different house, it won't connect.

When troubleshooting for the issue as to why it isn't connecting, it says: "Ethernet 2" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

I have tried the exact same cable and setup on my laptop and it connects to the ethernet instantly.

I have tried disabling a re-enabling the ethernet, I have gone to the providers website and updated the latest drivers, I have reset the router and my PC numerous times, I have cleared the cache via the command prompt and cleared and reinstalled all my network settings. I have also updated my windows.

None of this has made an effect and it still says 'unidentified network' when I click on the WiFi on the bottom right.

Is there anyone else with similar issues or anyone that can help?

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: I took my whole PC setup downstairs and plugged it all in and the ethernet connected instantly in all 4 ports. At least I know that it is the wall running cable which is the issue now.
Now you will need to open each wall plate. Look at the cable for any markings on the outside. See if all 8 wires are connected. See if the two ends match as far as color code.
Post pictures of what you see when open the wall plates for a second opinion of how bad it is.
Are you using the same router?

By any chance, did you setup a manual IP address or DNS on your computer?
To check
Right click the Network connection and click on Properties.
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically'
Select 'Obtain an DNS server address automatically'
Click OK.

Also you could

Select Use the following IP address and type the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and DNS server from the router.
Click OK.

Jan 14, 2021
Are you using the same router?

By any chance, did you setup a manual IP address or DNS on your computer?
To check
Right click the Network connection and click on Properties.
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically'
Select 'Obtain an DNS server address automatically'
Click OK.

Also you could

Select Use the following IP address and type the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and DNS server from the router.
Click OK.

No, it is a different router.

And I have tried your first solution previously and its already selected on automatic for both.

How would I go about doing your second solution?

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2021
I have tried this previously, I have just given it another go but it has not worked.
I might add that that the initial issue was that it doesn't detect an ethernet cable at all, I saw a video where he goes into network connections>right clicks the ethernet>properties>configure>advanced then goes to speed & duplex and changes it to 10 Mbps full duplex, from auto.
This identified the ethernet cable however couldn't connect to the network. I have tried the commands with this and the original settings yet no success.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the exact one, it is a Virgin Media router. I may add that it has worked in the past with this PC and all the same cables.

Speed and Duplex are back to auto negotiate: https://pastebin.com/pFzaAdjq
What's the model of the router?
The model should be on the back or bottom.

I see that the network adapter shows Media disconnected
That could be an issue with cable, the Ethernet port or an issue with handshake between router and adapter.
Try a different Ethernet cable connected to a different port on the router

Jan 14, 2021
I was thinking of trying a new ethernet cable - however if it was the cable then surely it wouldn't connect to my laptop? I will try this anyway.
Is it possible its a motherboard issue?

I was thinking of trying a new ethernet cable - however if it was the cable then surely it wouldn't connect to my laptop? I will try this anyway.
Not necessarily.
I have changed Ethernet cables that will make perfect contact on an Ethernet port but wouldn't on another.
Also check the pins inside the Ethernet port on your computer. The pins could break or get stuck no making contact with the cable.

Is it possible its a motherboard issue?
It is possible.
An Ethernet controller could die, but when that happens they usually disappear from the Device Manager or network device list.
If that's the case you could get either a USB to Ethernet adapter or a PCIe Ethernet adapter for $10-$15.

Reactions: SamirD
Jan 14, 2021
It is possible.
An Ethernet controller could die, but when that happens they usually disappear from the Device Manager or network device list.
If that's the case you could get either a USB to Ethernet adapter or a PCIe Ethernet adapter for $10-$15.

I have the USB/ethernet adaptor and I am still getting the same message - unidentified network.
However using a different ethernet cable in the motherboards ethernet slot, it says cable unplugged.

Last edited:
It's a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM
And yes I can get onto the settings page via the URL and password on the back of the router.
That's a modem/router combo.
Does have been set in modem mode?
If the device is in modem mode...all router features (NAT and DHCP features) are disabled, thus disabling all LAN ports.
One LAN port becomes a WAN port so you can attach one device at the time. That device could be a router so you could then connect more devices.
You can only connect one device to it when in modem mode, but you will be able to connect many devices when a router is connected to the modem.

Jan 14, 2021
That's a modem/router combo.
Does have been set in modem mode?
If the device is in modem mode...all router features (NAT and DHCP features) are disabled, thus disabling all LAN ports.
One LAN port becomes a WAN port so you can attach one device at the time. That device could be a router so you could then connect more devices.
You can only connect one device to it when in modem mode, but you will be able to connect many devices when a router is connected to the modem.
It seems to be already in Router Mode.