[SOLVED] "Ethernet 2" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration ISSUE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 14, 2021
Hi, I am using ethernet via my router to my PC. It was working fine yesterday, however after moving my PC to a different house, it won't connect.

When troubleshooting for the issue as to why it isn't connecting, it says: "Ethernet 2" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

I have tried the exact same cable and setup on my laptop and it connects to the ethernet instantly.

I have tried disabling a re-enabling the ethernet, I have gone to the providers website and updated the latest drivers, I have reset the router and my PC numerous times, I have cleared the cache via the command prompt and cleared and reinstalled all my network settings. I have also updated my windows.

None of this has made an effect and it still says 'unidentified network' when I click on the WiFi on the bottom right.

Is there anyone else with similar issues or anyone that can help?

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: I took my whole PC setup downstairs and plugged it all in and the ethernet connected instantly in all 4 ports. At least I know that it is the wall running cable which is the issue now.
Now you will need to open each wall plate. Look at the cable for any markings on the outside. See if all 8 wires are connected. See if the two ends match as far as color code.
Post pictures of what you see when open the wall plates for a second opinion of how bad it is.
Jan 14, 2021
How many Ethernet wall jacks are there?
How many Ethernet ports are used on the Media Hub 3.0?
Do you know if the Ethernet wall jacks are all connected to the Media Hub 3.0?
Four, one in each room.
All four are plugged into the router - which has 4 slots
And yeah all 4 of them

Unplug one of the Ethernet cables going to a wall jack, and connect your laptop to one of the the ports on the Media Hub with an Ethernet cable.
Does the laptop connects to the internet (turn WiFi off)?
You could try and test each port (1-4) on the Media Hub to see if they all work.

Jan 14, 2021
Unplug one of the Ethernet cables going to a wall jack, and connect your laptop to one of the the ports on the Media Hub with an Ethernet cable.
Does the laptop connects to the internet (turn WiFi off)?
You could try and test each port (1-4) on the Media Hub to see if they all work.
All 4 of them work instantly on my laptop

Jan 14, 2021
@MattD44 you have never provided the motherboard you are using. Some of the newer motherboards with 2.5Gb ethernet ports have issues. Also some motherboards have two ethernet ports. Not having a valid configuration on the second ethernet isn't an actual issue.
MSI Z170-A Pro is the motherboard I have, it only has one ethernet port

All 4 of them work instantly on my laptop
So, now you know that is not the Media Hub, so that leaves the wall jack or the wire (patch cable) going from the Media Hub to that wall jack.
It could be something as simple as a loose connection, but a professional, with the right tools might be required to troubleshoot and fix it.

@MattD44 you have never provided the motherboard you are using. Some of the newer motherboards with 2.5Gb ethernet ports have issues. Also some motherboards have two ethernet ports. Not having a valid configuration on the second ethernet isn't an actual issue.
A USB to Ethernet adapter was already used, so the Ethernet port on the motherboard is not the issue.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021
UPDATE: I took my whole PC setup downstairs and plugged it all in and the ethernet connected instantly in all 4 ports. At least I know that it is the wall running cable which is the issue now.

Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
Now you will need to open each wall plate. Look at the cable for any markings on the outside. See if all 8 wires are connected. See if the two ends match as far as color code.
Post pictures of what you see when open the wall plates for a second opinion of how bad it is.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution