[SOLVED] Ethernet cable 5e / 6 or 6e?

Sep 13, 2018
So I’m looking to buy a 15m Ethernet cable. I would like to ask you which type of this 3 shall I get? I want to have the least possible increase in ping and the least possible loss of Mbps. I stream and game on the same machine. My download is 80 Mbps and a upload is 5.5mbps. Hopefully you can help me out

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Solution
So I’m looking to buy a 15m Ethernet cable. I would like to ask you which type of this 3 shall I get? I want to have the least possible increase in ping and the least possible loss of Mbps. I stream and game on the same machine. My download is 80 Mbps and a upload is 5.5mbps. Hopefully you can help me out

None of them will make any measurable difference in your ping. Get a 100% copper non-flat 22-24 gauge cable. I prefer monoprice cables -- https://www.amazon.com/Cmple-CAT5E-ETHERNET-NETWORK-CABLE/dp/B07Q58M5J7

kanewolf

Titan

None of them will make any measurable difference in your ping. Get a 100% copper non-flat 22-24 gauge cable. I prefer monoprice cables -- https://www.amazon.com/Cmple-CAT5E-ETHERNET-NETWORK-CABLE/dp/B07Q58M5J7

Solution
Jan 2, 2020
You ping is measured in milliseconds (ms), but the time for electrons to travel in copper wire is in nanoseconds. A millisecond is 1,000,000 nanoseconds. You can't measure the time in an ethernet cable.

Ping will be increased if, due to a dodgy cable, the transmitting end has to re-transmit due to the receiving end detecting uncorrectable errors.

Even in a digital world, cables can affect real-world performance. It's possible to have something working, but not very well. Internet protocols are very good at covering up for bad cables, but if this happens it does slow things down.

Ping will be increased if, due to a dodgy cable, the transmitting end has to re-transmit due to the receiving end detecting uncorrectable errors.

Even in a digital world, cables can affect real-world performance. It's possible to have something working, but not very well. Internet protocols are very good at covering up for bad cables, but if this happens it does slow things down.
Ping will not increase at all. It will just see packet loss. This is the key reason you use ping. Ethernet and most network transport methods have no ability to retransmit data. At most they detect it and discard it. This will never cause any delay just loss. You might see a delay in something like a file transfer since at much higher level in the communication chain data retransmission is being done. The ping protocol has no method of retransmission.

Jan 2, 2020
OK, you're right. But most real world use if via TCP/IP so has error detection and retries in the event of a working but dodgy connection.

My point is that a crap cable can lead to slow data, much slower than the speed of light!

Reactions: SamirD
OK, you're right. But most real world use if via TCP/IP so has error detection and retries in the event of a working but dodgy connection.

My point is that a crap cable can lead to slow data, much slower than the speed of light!
[/QUOTE
I have worked my whole career in computer networking and am just overly sensitive to people being imprecise in their statements.

kanewolf

Titan

But the label on a cable whether it is cat5e or cat7 doesn't tell you if it is a "crap cable". The type of wire, the size of wire, the reputation of the supplier are better indicators.