Question Ethernet cable "daisy chain" from main router to 2nd router access point

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
Hi! I had a problem with setting up my 2nd router as an access point. I am quite new to routers etc, but I managed to do so following some tutorials. Anyhow, now I face a new problem. When I connect the main router to the access point with a single direct ethernet cable, everything works fine. Problem is that I need the access point in another building 50 m or so from the house which the main router is in. I have bought ethernet cables long enough and managed to "daisy chain?" cables from the main router and out to the other building, but when I connect the last ethernetcable in the chain to the access point, it does'nt work. The setup is like this: Main router -->Connector-->Connector-->Access Point. --> being ethernet cables and Connector being a wallmounted, well, connector. There is internet connection through the whole chain, I get internet if I connect the cable directly to my computer. Just not when I connect it to the access point. What is weird is that it worked for about three months, but suddenly it stopped working. Any suggestions?
Hope that made some sense atleast.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried swapping a known working ethernet cable into that last link to the Access Point?

Look inside the wall connectors (wall jacks) for loose wires.

Especially inside the two wall connectors (wall jacks) in the last link to the Access Point.

Not unusual for wires to come loose especially if the wrong components are used and/or the installation is not correctly done.

Does the following line show more detail regarding the physical connection path?

Main router [LAN port] -- Ethernet cable --> Wall outlet "in"/Wall outlet "out" ---Ethernet cable ----> Wall outlet "in"/Wall outlet "out" ----Ethernet cable ----> Access Point

Are you able to photograph the "wall mounted connector"? If so, post accordingly.

Here is how to post the image:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
Have you tried swapping a known working ethernet cable into that last link to the Access Point?

Look inside the wall connectors (wall jacks) for loose wires.

Especially inside the two wall connectors (wall jacks) in the last link to the Access Point.

Not unusual for wires to come loose especially if the wrong components are used and/or the installation is not correctly done.

Does the following line show more detail regarding the physical connection path?

Main router [LAN port] -- Ethernet cable --> Wall outlet "in"/Wall outlet "out" ---Ethernet cable ----> Wall outlet "in"/Wall outlet "out" ----Ethernet cable ----> Access Point

Are you able to photograph the "wall mounted connector"? If so, post accordingly.

Here is how to post the image:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Yes, I have tried swapping ethernet cables into the last link, made no difference. I have not yet checked the wall outlets for loose wires, I'll do it in the morning. But doesn't the fact that I get internet connection from the ethernet cable from the last link, mean that that there are no loose wires? I'll check just to be sure though. I am now writing this reply from my computer connected to the last link through ethernet cable. The problem is that if I connect the cable to the access point, it doesn't receive internet connection. Here is an image of one of the two identical wall outlets.
69927530_726627364447211_4090773821919854592_n.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
So last link cable to PC works.

But last link cable to Access point is failing.

And that connection did work for three months.

Any chance that the Access Point was factory reset and its original router functions re-enabled?

Sirlee

Prominent
Aug 22, 2019
So last link cable to PC works.

But last link cable to Access point is failing.

And that connection did work for three months.

Any chance that the Access Point was factory reset and its original router functions re-enabled?
After the problem came up, I have reset the Access Point to factory settings and then set ut i AP mode. That is the mode (no other settings fiddled with) in which the AP worked for three months.

Ralston18

Titan
If the computer works when directly connected to the router with an Ethernet cable then the computer is ok.

The next step is to narrow down the problem to either the current Ethernet connection path or the AP.

Use the same cable path that you used to directly connect the computer to the router.

Connect the AP in place of the computer and then connect the computer to the AP. Use a known working ethernet cable between AP and computer.

Key is to methodically narrow down the problem to one specific source.

TRENDING THREADS