Ethernet cable is being constantly plugged in and unplugged

Swagata

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
I use a Tp link TD W8950N. I often used to get an yellow exclamation mark on the network tray icon and internet the wasnt working. If I troubleshoot I found the error like Ethernet doesnt have a vaild ip configuration . Most of the time the troubleshooter could fix the problem and sometimes I needed to restart the pc. But today I see that router Ethernet cable is constantly getting connected and disconnected; like the network cable is being plugged in and unplugged. I see on the router that the led for that lan port is on and then off in a or two seconds. Obviously internet on pc is not working. But the wifi does work. I changed the cable but same thing. Then I restarted the pc and it was fine. I reset the modem using a pin from behind. I even disabled DHCP and added the pcs and phones mac address and assigned ip. Still I once got the Ethernet doesn't have valid ip configuration.. And that constant connecting/disconnecting again. Solved by restarting the pc twice. I am not understanding what is wrong. Restarting the router doesnt fix the connected/disconnected problem but restarting pc solves.

Solution
You're having a Layer 1 issue (physical). You've already changed the network cable. So that leaves the NIC or the router going bad. It's a hardware problem either way.
Aug 10, 2018
Have you tried updating the driver for your network adapter? In addition, check Event Viewer and see what errors it is giving you.. I expect there's a lot of "adapter has reset" errors.