Question Ethernet Cable vs Wireless Adapter?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
A week ago I got a new PC and it works like a charm aside from the Internet.

I got connection drops every 15 minutes multiple times a day. My connection would work fine for a few hours then start dropping every 15 minutes until it stopped dropping and proceeded to work fine for a few hours.

So I called my ISP and they send an agent who built in a new modem saying ours is outdated which makes sense since it wasn't replaced in 5 years.

He also said that if my connection were to drop again that it isn't their issue but my PC's issue and that getting an Ethernet cable is a much better solution.

I use a TP-Link WN823N adapter which is the same one I used on my previous PC without an issue. I checked that all of the drivers are up to date, tried changing the USB port etc.. and nothing worked.

My connection didn't drop since he installed a new modem (which was around 1.5 hours ago) so I'm wondering if it doesn't drop again should I keep my Wireless Adapter or install an Ethernet cable anyway?

Also, is there any measure in quality for Ethernet cables? My local store has them for $5-7.

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
Look at the markings. Key to avoid will be flat cable. Most valid cable say eia/tia on the side of it.

If is much less likely to get fake cable at a store than when you buy online. N The cable needs to be pure copper (not cca) with wire size 22-24

This sound good INTELLINET, patch CAT5e, U/UTP?

Neither of those terms mean much. Cat5e is just a name not a actual standard , the standard is eia/tia. UTP just means unsheilded twisted pair but does not say much about the wire.

If you are buying locally you should be able to return the cable if it does not work. Unlike online where you must pay shipping costs which stop people from returning stuff local store know that they should not sell trash when it easy for people to return it.

Try this speed test i know it is reliable....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8684619484

I use it on ethernet pc's , a wi-fi pc and 3 tablet all with same results.
Remove ALL your phone line/internet asdl filters except your main one , repeat the tests and then plug all the others back in one at a time repeating the speed test each time. This will trace if you have a faulty filter that effects everything you do.

Write down details of your speeds and check what your contract speeds should be , then ring your isp and ask them to do a speed test from their end. I did this and my isp B.T. trace a fault to arcing wires in a faulty street based cabinet.

I see you say you been running wireless do you have your wi-fi connection to your hub key code protected so that nobody else can use your signal. Example , if you buy a tablet it should ask for a keycode so you can access your own hub.

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
Try this speed test i know it is reliable....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8684619484

I use it on ethernet pc's , a wi-fi pc and 3 tablet all with same results.
Remove ALL your phone line/internet asdl filters except your main one , repeat the tests and then plug all the others back in one at a time repeating the speed test each time. This will trace if you have a faulty filter that effects everything you do.

Write down details of your speeds and check what your contract speeds should be , then ring your isp and ask them to do a speed test from their end. I did this and my isp B.T. trace a fault to arcing wires in a faulty street based cabinet.

I see you say you been running wireless do you have your wi-fi connection to your hub key code protected so that nobody else can use your signal. Example , if you buy a tablet it should ask for a keycode so you can access your own hub.
I ran the speed test with all devices connected and with only my PC and it seems to be the same.

My connection has not been dropping and I've had no issues since the new modem has been installed.