Question Ethernet connected to range extender has random lag spikes

Jun 3, 2024
I have a Technicolor CGA4234 (from WOW) downstairs ethernet connected to a TP-Link AV600 range extender and I have the other part of the extender in my room connected to my laptop with ethernet. My laptop is a 15t-dy200, and I've noticed the problem started a few months ago after a power outage and has spiked ever since.

Normally people call those units poweline adapters.

Not a lot you can configure or change on them..you pretty much plug them in and they do their thing.

You could try a different outlet in the room and see if it makes a difference.

Open a cmd window and leave a constant ping run to the router ip. Generally you see only a couple MS of delay and pretty much no packet loss when you are testing inside your house. If you see large spikes in the ping or more likely packet loss it means the powerline units are having some issue.

If you can move the pc downstairs to test or run a long ethernet cable over the floor. This is purely to see if the problem is the powerline units. Don't want to consider buying new equipment when it is something about the pc causing it.

Reactions: lantis3
Jun 3, 2024
Yeah i'll try that
I also did some tests some time ago comparing my laptop with my PC, and my PC's ping is always better and more stable than my laptop (both on normal wifi and with the adapters) so I think it might be the laptops issue

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask about the network settings on the PC and the laptop:

If you have been switching between wired and wireless confirm that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on each system.

One thing you can do is to run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on the PC and then on the laptop.

Copy and paste the full results from each system and post the results here.

Be sure to identify which "ipconfig /all" is the PC and which is the laptop.