[SOLVED] Ethernet Connection disconnecting and reconnecting

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Hey guys,

So I have a fairly new build that I built a few weeks back and seem to run into a problem,

Now and again my internet connected via Ethernet drops and reconnects, It's very random on when it does it and a lot of the times it will disconnect and reconnect like 5 times in 2 minutes then won't do it for the rest of the day. I'm fairly sure it's down to the PC I'm on as I have done a little troubleshooting which is as follows.

• Changed Ethernet Cable
  • Changed the Port it plugs into on the router's end
  • Connected another PC via Ethernet and run them side by side and only my computer dropped connecting
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled LAN Drivers
  • Temp fix was to release and renew IP worked a little, however I don't want to keep doing this as I have stuff like wake up on LAN they I have to redo.

I'll take a screenshot of my Event Viewer everything you see is the Ethernet dropping multiple times.
Event Viewer Image

Just in case I'll list my specs here,

AMD 5900x
ROG Strix B550-F
64gb RAM
3070 GPU
Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
When you get a disconnect status that is very much a low level hardware thing. It is not likely software but you should check that you do not have any energy save or low power options set. These are in the bios not the OS but you should also check the windows settings. it is not likely going to be this.

The most common cause is a bad ethernet cable. Problem with ethernet cables is they can work on some machines and not others when they are defective. There are also massive amounts of fake ethernet cables on the market. The most common you see are the flat cables. There are no flat cables that meet the certifications required to be a actual ethernet cable. You need cat5e or better cables that are pure copper wire...
When you get a disconnect status that is very much a low level hardware thing. It is not likely software but you should check that you do not have any energy save or low power options set. These are in the bios not the OS but you should also check the windows settings. it is not likely going to be this.

The most common cause is a bad ethernet cable. Problem with ethernet cables is they can work on some machines and not others when they are defective. There are also massive amounts of fake ethernet cables on the market. The most common you see are the flat cables. There are no flat cables that meet the certifications required to be a actual ethernet cable. You need cat5e or better cables that are pure copper wire with wire size 22-24. Most cables have this marked on the side along with EIA/TIA which should mean they are certified cables.

Your best option is to just buy a new cable or maybe a couple just to have them around since the shipping is the large part of the cost.

After this you start to suspect a bad port on the computer but other maybe dirt in the port you can't really fix it....you really want it to be just a bad cable.

Solution