[SOLVED] Ethernet connection dropping on Win10

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Hi, I'm finding that after getting a new computer with Windows 10 installed my Ethernet connection is dropping every so often for about 10 seconds or so. Its hard to say how often it happens, but its fairly frequent and makes downloading files impossible.
  1. If I monitor the connection itself in the Network and Sharing Center, then it appears to stay connected for the entire time without issues.
  2. I've tried checking if the Ethernet connection is getting turned off by power-saving measures, both in the Power settings from Control Panel and from checking options in Device Manager. There doesn't seem to be an issue here.
  3. This same Ethernet connection and router worked completely fine with the old computer, and is working fine right now on my laptop. I don't think the router or cable are the issue specifically.
  4. After looking online, it seems like a lot of people get the same problem in relation to Windows 10, but I couldn't find a way to actually fix it.
  5. Just to confirm, I have reset the router, and reset the Winsock on the computer, and used the Network Troubleshooter. None of these solved the problem.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Solution
Hi, I'm finding that after getting a new computer with Windows 10 installed my Ethernet connection is dropping every so often for about 10 seconds or so. Its hard to say how often it happens, but its fairly frequent and makes downloading files impossible.
  1. If I monitor the connection itself in the Network and Sharing Center, then it appears to stay connected for the entire time without issues.
  2. I've tried checking if the Ethernet connection is getting turned off by power-saving measures, both in the Power settings from Control Panel and from checking options in Device Manager. There doesn't seem to be an issue here.
  3. This same Ethernet connection and router worked completely fine with the old computer, and is working fine...

Bassplate

Reputable
  3. This same Ethernet connection and router worked completely fine with the old computer, and is working fine right now on my laptop. I don't think the router or cable are the issue specifically.
  4. After looking online, it seems like a lot of people get the same problem in relation to Windows 10, but I couldn't find a way to actually fix it.
  5. Just to confirm, I have reset the router, and reset the Winsock on the computer, and used the Network Troubleshooter. None of these solved the problem.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
Have you tried Reinstalling your Network Ethernet Driver?OR Update the Driver to a newer Version.
You said its a new Computer with new Windows on...Have you checked when was the last time it Updated and installed the Recommended Drivers?
What Model and Version do you have Installed on the new Computer(1809,,,1909,,,,build 1778 or 18363)
Can you please check the link speed between your Ethernet port to the router.(Change adapter Options---Double click Ethernet adapter---Then in the Ethernet Status TAB Look for Speed.)
What is your current speed that's showing in your Ethernet Status TAB?
Note the Speed has to be 100.0Mbps
link-speed.png

Solution

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Have you tried Reinstalling your Network Ethernet Driver?OR Update the Driver to a newer Version.
You said its a new Computer with new Windows on...Have you checked when was the last time it Updated and installed the Recommended Drivers?
What Model and Version do you have Installed on the new Computer(1809,,,1909,,,,build 1778 or 18363)
Can you please check the link speed between your Ethernet port to the router.(Change adapter Options---Double click Ethernet adapter---Then in the Ethernet Status TAB Look for Speed.)
What is your current speed that's showing in your Ethernet Status TAB?
Note the Speed has to be 100.0Mbps
link-speed.png

Thanks for your response. Its a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller which has been updated to the most recent driver version 10.39.212.2020. After checking the speed, it appears to be a stable 100.0 mbps, with everything looking basically the same as your picture (except for a different time and activity numbers). It continues to show 100.0 even when the connection briefly drops.

Reactions: Bassplate

Bassplate

Reputable
Thanks for your response. Its a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller which has been updated to the most recent driver version 10.39.212.2020. After checking the speed, it appears to be a stable 100.0 mbps, with everything looking basically the same as your picture (except for a different time and activity numbers). It continues to show 100.0 even when the connection briefly drops.
Well you can just Reinstall the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and see if it worked...If not i would then say to take it to your nearest Computer Shop and to TEST and check if your LAN Port is still Working Fine.