Ethernet connection drops every 5s - 5 minutes, pinging often results in request timed out/ general failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2018
Hello, so here's my situation:

I'm on win 10 64 bit pro [Version 10.0.15063]. A few months ago everything was just fine, but then a thunderbolt, which hit a overhead power line near us, killed my mainboard and our router. Right now, we replaced everything and all seems back in order - except my connection. My wired connection drops intermittently now and I can't figure out where the problem is exactly.
Pinging google in cmd results in
requesttimedout_zpsmrjlitos.png
or
generalfailure_zps1r8comkz.png
What's interesting is that this doesn't affect games like LoL or CS:GO at all. Yet livestreams on twitch.tv, just browsing or programs like discord are more or less heavily affected.
This bothered me so much at one point, that I just reinstalled windows from scratch.
Well bite me, problem's still there. Before I updated the network driver via device manager, I even got a "Destination host unreachable" here and there. And what's new to me is that there is an also apparently random "PING: transmit failed. General failure." now. Anybody got an idea what's wrong with my connection?

EDIT:
ISP: Telekom, Germany
connection: Fiber ~60k
router: Fritzbox 7490

I also tried replacing my CAT 5 cable with a brand new CAT 6 cable, to no effect. Right now I'm at a friends and I've no disconnects, yet I do have random lag spikes in similar time spans, but I don't know if that's somehow connected to the disconnects I experience at home. I wondered if I could have made a mistake as I replaced the mainboard, but I guess that's ruled out now?
When I get home, I will see if the disconnects reproduce on a linux bootable usb-stick, but I noticed in my Kali-VM that the problem is hard to notice there. Any suggestions for a good program to monitor network activity under linux?

Thanks in advance

You want to ping your router ip. It will eliminate the issue being the internet.

The message general failure make me think it is a problem with the PC. Most times you just get timeout messages if the problem is remote.

It seems lots of things can cause that message. I know I had similar issues when I had a vpn client that I though I had uninstalled.

If it does it when you boot a linux disto from a USB stick then it can't be OS related. Still you have replaced everything so it almost can't be a hardware issue. I suspect it will be fine booted from the USB. Worst case you reinstall windows and reload drivers....that unfortantly was my solution for my vpn problem. It is also why I will never again load a vpn client on a computer only on my router where you do not load clients.

Note I have seen someone post on this forum that a windows update messed his drivers up and caused a general failure and he had to load the original drivers back. His case it did not work at all not just intermittently like yours does so it may not be your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.