[SOLVED] Ethernet connection goes down randomly

Jul 2, 2021
Hello, every 5-10 minutes my ethernet connection goes down and then comes back up by itself after a few seconds.

I know the problem is with my computer because I have plugged another one into the same ethernet cable with the same connection and the same OS and I had no problems for more than a week of use.

The problem has been there since I started using my computer, which I bought new on the internet.

My motherboard is the B450-M Pro VDH Max and I have Windows 10

I would appreciate any help!

Solution
I just did the test:

When everything is fine, the light on the box is green and stays on, when I lose the connection it goes out completely for about 15 seconds, it comes back on for about 5 seconds, goes out again for about 15 seconds before coming back on completely (until the next interruption)

No other device loses connection
Then it is either a cable problem or an OS problem. Least likely a hardware problem.
You can switch to a different ethernet port on your internet box to eliminate that port.
You can boot a portable Linux OS and see if your connection is stable. That would point to a software problem in your OS.
You can buy a brand new cat5e cable -- I like monoprice -- and swap cables. Just because one...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, every 5-10 minutes my ethernet connection goes down and then comes back up by itself after a few seconds.

I know the problem is with my computer because I have plugged another one into the same ethernet cable with the same connection and the same OS and I had no problems for more than a week of use.

The problem has been there since I started using my computer, which I bought new on the internet.

My motherboard is the B450-M Pro VDH Max and I have Windows 10

I would appreciate any help!
Does the ethernet cable go directly to the router? Is it a "flat" ethernet cable ?

Jul 2, 2021
OK, if the cable goes directly to your internet source, what do the LEDs on that box do when your internet drops ??
Do any other devices loose internet at the same time ?
I just did the test:

When everything is fine, the light on the box is green and stays on, when I lose the connection it goes out completely for about 15 seconds, it comes back on for about 5 seconds, goes out again for about 15 seconds before coming back on completely (until the next interruption)

kanewolf

Titan
I just did the test:

Then it is either a cable problem or an OS problem. Least likely a hardware problem.
You can switch to a different ethernet port on your internet box to eliminate that port.
You can boot a portable Linux OS and see if your connection is stable. That would point to a software problem in your OS.
You can buy a brand new cat5e cable -- I like monoprice -- and swap cables. Just because one device will tolerate a specific cable, does not guarantee that all devices will.

Solution
Jul 2, 2021
You can buy a brand new cat5e cable -- I like monoprice -- and swap cables. Just because one device will tolerate a specific cable, does not guarantee that all devices will.
Something I should have mentioned is that I had two installations of Windows on this computer, and the second installation was on an SSD from another PC that I just plugged into this one by removing the hard drive that contained the first OS, yet both Windows installations had the connection problem.

To summarize:
1st Windows: installed on the computer when I received it, and it is on this OS that I saw that there was a connection problem
2nd Windows: installed on a computer without problem then moved on the computer whose connection is broken by removing at the same time the disk containing the first Windows, the two Windows never cohabited yet there was still the problem

So I don't think it's an OS issue. I also tried to switch the ports of the box without result

I also forgot to mention that at the time I had the first OS I bought and tried another ethernet cable to see if it was coming from there without result. I also bought a new box at that time, thinking that the problem was coming from there, without result either.

Sorry I forgot to mention some things, it happened a few months ago and it was out of my head until you mentioned it

Do you think that an USB ethernet adapter could solve the problem?

In general when the port is actually going down...ie the lights go off...it is some kind of hardware issue. Now there it is a tiny change it is a driver which is why you try a different OS but since low level port functions are mostly in hardware it is rare for software to have a affect.

You could check the bios in your machine. Some have power save and green energy garbage that causes issues.

In the end problems like this are generally cables or ports. I would still buy another cable that you know is good quality. It is cheaper than the USB ethernet port. If it still does not work USB ethernet port will be a simple fix for a broken port. Be aware you need to be using USB3 to get full speed.