Ethernet connection going through wireless router

ThatOneSix

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, friends,

So, I have a weird issue. The other day, I was playing League and my connection started dropping. I spent a couple of days troubleshooting everything I could think of - using multiple PCs, swapping ethernet ports, messing with my router, etc. After a lot of frustration, I had an idea.

Now, on my roommate's PC, he could play League with no issue. On my laptop and my desktop, I couldn't do anything without my connection failing. Bear in mind, I'm hard wired and he's on wifi. Now, our router has a 2.4 ghz band and a 5 ghz band. His wifi connection is on the 5 band, and, as I mentioned, he had no issues. I asked him to swap over to the 2.4 connection, and all of a sudden, lag spikes everywhere.

So, from that we managed to deduce that the 2.4 ghz band on our router is dying. That's all well and good, but now we have another issue - why is our network connection trying to force its way through the wireless router? We tried hardwiring 4 different PCs, and 3 of them are defaulting to the wireless router networks, even when the wireless adapters are turned off. My laptop and desktop are defaulting to 2.4, my roommate's desktop is defaulting to 5, and our last desktop is connection just to "Network". Below is a screenshot of my network connections.
7iqlcrr.png

I tried doing an ipconfig /release, /renew, /flushdns, but I got the following error - "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." I'm completely lost as to what to do, now. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Here are the spec for our network set-up:
Main Router: PFSense virtualized on top of ESXI 5.5
PFSense is the only DHCP lease distributor.

Wireless Router: ASUS Black Diamond (wifi passthrough only)
Switch: Unmanaged ASUS 24 port gigabit

ThatOneSix

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
I don't actually have a wireless adapter connected to my PC, that's why this is so weird. Instead of just connecting right to the modem, our network is trying to force my computer to use the TruTech_2.4 connection, which is reserved for the wireless adapter's 2.4 ghz connection. However, what it should be doing it just connecting to the network without going through the router.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well - it's such a weird issue, I don't really understand why this is happening or what, exactly, is going on.

Here's a picture of my device manager, by the way. I know that 3 of the adapters are disabled - I turned them off earlier in the day while troubleshooting.
b8zlq2B.png

ThatOneSix

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

That's how it's currently set up. The ethernet port in use is enabled, the other two are disabled.

Drseevee

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Sometimes windows is stupid like this with naming which network its is on. When I plug in my ethernet and disable my wireless it still calls the network the name of the wireless, I guess it knows its the same network and its better than no name?

Have you confirmed that it is trying to go to the router by using something like tracert in command prompt. That SHOULD show you the path, although it may not actually say it is going through when it is but it could give an indication to whats going on. What is your network topography? Taking a bit of a guess the pc is connected to a switch connected to the modem and the router is also on that switch? and the PC is trying to go pc...>switch...>router...>switch...>modem...>internet? Does the modem deal with the NAT? if not then it would need to go through the router no? try ipconfig and check the ip address of the default gateway. Is it the router or the modem?

Also lag spikes are common on 2.4GHz especially when there is a lot of interference either from other wifi networks or microwave ovens baby monitors etc the list goes on. This does not necessarily mean your 2.4GHz is dying unless there are other symptoms.

Ethernet Controller (82574L / 82574V)
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-controllers/82574l-82574it-gbe-controller-brief.html

Intel TruTech_2.4 CT Desktop Adapter Uses a 82574L
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter-brief.html

How many Ethernet ports do you have ?

Looking at the posted image, it appears you are using an adapter if you already have what appears to be on board 82574L / 82574V ?

I am not familiar with those devices but since the TruTech_2.4 CT Desktop Adapter Uses a 82574L, I wonder just how many actual ports those 4 connections represent ?

How are you determining that the connection is defaulting to the 2.4 GHz wireless connection on the router and not the TruTech_2.4 CT Desktop Adapter ?

You appear to have no device installed that has wireless connectivity.

Device manager "appears" to indicate that you have on board ethernet capability on the MoBo which would make the adapter redundant, unnecessary and potentially problematic .... but I have seen Intel misreport things before and why I wondered whether the TruTech_2.4 CT Desktop Adapter which uses a 82574L is being reported both as a TruTech_2.4 CT *and* a 82574L