Question Ethernet Connection Only Half Working

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
So I built my first ever PC, and its been smooth sailing except for one problem with my internet. This problem showed up first the day I built it and updated the ethernet drivers, but it went away and has only just come back. Basically, my computer says the internet is working - and it is, I'm able to load some websites, but its never telling which. So I can load YouTube instantly then refresh it and it will say my internet is down. Moreover, on this website it took me 5 minutes to access the forums page then everything instantly loaded. Furthermore, games such as Rust or CS:GO which have server lists will load some servers, but not all. They will say my ping is fine but for example on Rust I can not see the server descriptions and all the servers that show up are dead. Thus, I can only conclude that my internet is half working. I tried using 4 different ethernet cables - 3 of them do not work at all and one of them, the one I'm using now, was the only one that has worked normally before. My wifi works fine, but I do not have a wifi adapter on my computer, I've only tested it on my phone. I have no clue what is wrong - I disabled the windows firewall, tried updating my ethernet drivers to no avail, and the only thing that I haven't done is tried completely updating my motherboard's drivers. It is worth noting that I previously did not install all drivers on my motherboard's website but this did not affect me these past 3 days until now.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried updating the Ethernet Network card driver on your PC?

Download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure for your network.

How is the PC connected: i.e., Ethernet cable direct to router or modem/router? Any interim connections such as Ethernet wall jacks, switches, powerline adapters, etc.?

Make and model router? Do you have admin rights to the router? If so, the router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clues.

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Have you tried updating the Ethernet Network card driver on your PC?

Download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure for your network.

How is the PC connected: i.e., Ethernet cable direct to router or modem/router? Any interim connections such as Ethernet wall jacks, switches, powerline adapters, etc.?

Make and model router? Do you have admin rights to the router? If so, the router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clues.
If you mean updating the device called GbE family controller yes I have, if not how can i go about updating said card driver? My ethernet cable is connected directly to the router which is connected directly to the cable box. I have a Smart/RG 802.11ac Gigabit router, model is SR400ac. I will have to look up how to find the logs since I don't know much about that. Sorry for the late reply

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
No problem with respect to "late reply"....

Yes: if at all possible check the router's logs.

And also run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the command prompt on the computer.

Post the results.
Here, I'm going to make a new thread this time entailing my current problem since this is ultra late reply and I still have the problem

May 6, 2019
Had a real tough with this one, ended up being AutoTuningLevel disabled. Setting it to normal fixed it for me, Ethernet was capped at 200, now its back to my normal speed.

In CMD type in: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal .😊

Hope this helps someone.