[SOLVED] Ethernet cord shows up on computer works for a few seconds and then says no Internet

captainthedog

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I recently got an ethernet cord to strengthen my Internet connection is the router is pretty far from my room. Upon plugging in the ethernet cord, it works for a few seconds and the connection is good. After A few seconds it says no internet. does anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
Do you get the red X thing or did it only partially disconnect. If you do IPCONFIG /all does is say disconnected or does it just not have proper IP information.

If it is actually disconnecting it is likely a bad cable. Even cables from the very best companies can be defective. All it takes is for one end to be just slightly loose internally and as it get warm it will move internally and disconnect. If you bought "fake" cable it is have even more problem especially on longer runs. Make sure you have cat5e cable or better if it is cheaper. You want pure copper wire (no CCA) and it must be wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin wire) In many cases like yours people buy that flat cable because they feel they can hide it...
Do you get the red X thing or did it only partially disconnect. If you do IPCONFIG /all does is say disconnected or does it just not have proper IP information.

If it is actually disconnecting it is likely a bad cable. Even cables from the very best companies can be defective. All it takes is for one end to be just slightly loose internally and as it get warm it will move internally and disconnect. If you bought "fake" cable it is have even more problem especially on longer runs. Make sure you have cat5e cable or better if it is cheaper. You want pure copper wire (no CCA) and it must be wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin wire) In many cases like yours people buy that flat cable because they feel they can hide it better. The flat cable wire is not a certified ethernet cable because the wires are too thin. It has massive issues going distance and the ends tend to have more issues because there is less contact area internally.

Solution