Ethernet device not working properly PCIE after downgrade from Windows 10 to 7

tickle2727

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I have two Dell Inspiron 3650's that I downgraded from 10 to 7. Both machines have conflicts with the integrated ethernet port. I purchased 10/100/1000 ethernet PCIE cards thinking as a separate utility it would bypass the driver problems. Installed the first one no problems. Windows update took care of the work. Go to the second machine on a high horse and.... continuous errors of device not working properly. The same as the integrated NIC.

So far I have unisntalled the driver, restarted, reinstalled (error codes 1 or 28) depending on how the computer is feeling. I've also gone to hidden devices and uninstalled those drivers.

The failure message also says the computer found the driver but an error occurred.

I've tried moving the card to another slot restarting in between changes, removed the card started it then restarted it, deleted the registry entry to allow a renewal to the driver, disabled and enabled, browsed from the list, used the disk, disabled one while trying the other, and used Dell's update utility.

This is my secretary's PC that I need to hardwire due to the distance from the router. I've already run the Cat5 and terminated the ends. Just need this driver to work and three nights staying at the office past 2 am will be over.

TIA

Tickle

Solution
Swap the PCIe cards between PCs to see if the problem follows one card or the other.

Copy the driver from the successful PC to the secretary's PC. (May have a corrupted driver on the latter.)

Swap out the Cat5 cables to known working cables.

All too easy to get a bit blurry eyed after 3 nights past 2 am.

Get some rest. Then create a checklist based on the working PC. Compare item by item to the non-working PC.

Find the mismatches.

Ralston18

Titan
Swap the PCIe cards between PCs to see if the problem follows one card or the other.

Copy the driver from the successful PC to the secretary's PC. (May have a corrupted driver on the latter.)

Swap out the Cat5 cables to known working cables.

All too easy to get a bit blurry eyed after 3 nights past 2 am.

Get some rest. Then create a checklist based on the working PC. Compare item by item to the non-working PC.

Find the mismatches.

Solution