[SOLVED] Ethernet disconnects from laptop ONLY while gaming. Using a usb-c to ethernet adapter.

Nov 19, 2019
This has been happening for a while now, ethernet disconnects when gaming online. I have a Razer Blade 15 advanced model (1070 - maxq) and am using a usb-c to ethernet adapter. I have tried using it in different locations, with different cables and even got a new adapter without any luck. Have tried things like disabling power saving internet and disabling auto negotiation on Link Speed and it did not work.

Solution
Does the following link match (or show) your laptop's specs?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/razer-blade-2018

The laptop does have a built in wireless adapter (Intel Wireless AC 9269, 802.11ac) provided that I have found the correct/applicable model. The wireless adapter does require drivers that should be available via Intel's website.

So when you use ethernet (wired) you are using a small USB/Ethernet adapter that plugs into one of the laptop's USB ports. Then you connect an Ethernet cable between that adapter and the router. Correct?

However you still need to download the applicable drivers for that USB/Ethernet adapter.

When you connect verify that only the desired (wired or wireless) adapter is enabled. Either...

Ralston18

Titan
What do you mean by different locations: other networks and routers?

Or just different ports on your own network and router?

Windows 10? Try running the built-in troubleshooters. Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

If not, download, reinstall, and reconfigure the network adapter's drivers via the manufacturer's website.

If still not working, then run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Nov 19, 2019
What do you mean by different locations: other networks and routers?

Or just different ports on your own network and router?

Windows 10? Try running the built-in troubleshooters. Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

If not, download, reinstall, and reconfigure the network adapter's drivers via the manufacturer's website.

If still not working, then run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Yes, on other networks and even in different countries.

I have tried running the troubleshooters, however, the problem is that it works completely fine when connected and when it disconnects windows shows the device as not connected therefore it doesn't detect any problems.

Since my laptop does not have an ethernet port it does not internally have a chip for ethernet, it is inside the adapter which does not require drivers. I have looked online and not found any drivers for both of the adapters that I have.

I can run ipconfig that when i get home and connect my laptop to the ethernet, however, as mentioned before, the ethernet works fine while connected and it is not visible when it "disconnects".

Ralston18

Titan

The laptop does have a built in wireless adapter (Intel Wireless AC 9269, 802.11ac) provided that I have found the correct/applicable model. The wireless adapter does require drivers that should be available via Intel's website.

So when you use ethernet (wired) you are using a small USB/Ethernet adapter that plugs into one of the laptop's USB ports. Then you connect an Ethernet cable between that adapter and the router. Correct?

However you still need to download the applicable drivers for that USB/Ethernet adapter.

When you connect verify that only the desired (wired or wireless) adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless-not both at the same time.

Post the results of "ipconfig /all".

Reactions: NickinAction
Solution
Nov 19, 2019

When you connect verify that only the desired (wired or wireless) adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless-not both at the same time.

Post the results of "ipconfig /all".

Yes that is my laptop.

I have now ugraded the drivers for my wireless card to the newest version, however, as I stated, my wired adapter (plugged into usb-c port, 100mbps) does not require driver installation.

I usually dont disable the wireless card when using my wired connection, but I will try that.

I'm afraid I would want to know exactly what could be found from my ipconfig/all results because there is information there that I don't like to give out to people. I hope you understand.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem -

For the most part ipconfig /all does not reveal much. Hostname (if a personal name) and the MACs are likely the most sensitive.

I look for what network adapters are installed and enabled.

Also the router's IP address - sometimes it does not match the router's default settings or is otherwise some unexpected value. Tends to identify configuration errors if the admin/user did make changes.

Nov 19, 2019
No problem -

For the most part ipconfig /all does not reveal much. Hostname (if a personal name) and the MACs are likely the most sensitive.

I look for what network adapters are installed and enabled.

Also the router's IP address - sometimes it does not match the router's default settings or is otherwise some unexpected value. Tends to identify configuration errors if the admin/user did make changes.

Ok, so the problem is now fixed.

I tried disabling the wifi card when using ethernet and it doesn't disconnect now! =)

I think that since my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, the wifi card doesn't know if I am connected to ethernet and so it interferes with the connection somehow.

Thanks for your help!