Question "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Ethernet connection not working

Mar 21, 2020
So I've been researching and testing for hours now and I've tried just about everything, many times over. I am lost as to what is even possible for me to try so I really would like some help.

My Ethernet connection says I'm connected to an unidentified network. The wifi in the house is working just fine. I've tried plugging the cable into many other Ethernet ports but to no avail. I've tried all the cmd commands and ipv4 configurations but to no avail. I've tried clean rebooting and driver updates.
Please let me know what details I should post to help me fix it because I am just completely dumbfounded. I don't understand how nothing has worked.

Please help.

kanewolf

Titan
So I've been researching and testing for hours now and I've tried just about everything, many times over. I am lost as to what is even possible for me to try so I really would like some help.

My Ethernet connection says I'm connected to an unidentified network. The wifi in the house is working just fine. I've tried plugging the cable into many other Ethernet ports but to no avail. I've tried all the cmd commands and ipv4 configurations but to no avail. I've tried clean rebooting and driver updates.
Please let me know what details I should post to help me fix it because I am just completely dumbfounded. I don't understand how nothing has worked.

Please help.
Start by getting a bootable Linux USB. Then boot your PC off that. Does the ethernet work then? If so, it isn't a hardware problem.
Do the LEDs around the ethernet port light up?
Have you swapped to a brand new cable?
Do you have the speed set in the hardware or do you have the port speed set to auto?

Mar 21, 2020
Start by getting a bootable Linux USB. Then boot your PC off that. Does the ethernet work then? If so, it isn't a hardware problem.
Do the LEDs around the ethernet port light up?
Have you swapped to a brand new cable?
Do you have the speed set in the hardware or do you have the port speed set to auto?

Thanks for the reply, I got a Linux laptop and a different Ethernet cable and tried that but the same IP configuration error comes up on the laptop.
Yes the LED lights up next to the ethernet on my computer.
I don't know what you mean about speed.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply, I got a Linux laptop and a different Ethernet cable and tried that but the same IP configuration error comes up on the laptop.
Yes the LED lights up next to the ethernet on my computer.
I don't know what you mean about speed.
If a Linux laptop also doesn't work, then you probably have some problem at the router.
On the windows box, if you open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all What are the results?
Post the output.

Mar 21, 2020
I have a feeling that since another computer with a different Ethernet cable still has the same issue, surely it's a problem with the router. Does anyone know how to configure the router to maybe fix the problem?