'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid IP configuration' (Shortly after updating to windows 10)

Blue_Cola

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Hi there, I need help.
I recently updated my PC to windows 10. everything worked, no worries. About half an hour into windows 10, and my Ethernet suddenly can't access the internet. I've tried to diagnose it with the message being "there are missing network protocols on this computer". I have never gotten this message before and I was extremely confused. I'm not much of an IT person so I tried restarting my modem and computer with no change in my problem.
After about an hour of fiddling around and trying to find solutions on this forum, I decided to revert back to windows 8.1 (Yes I know it sucks) Because I've never had any problems with it. However, instead of missing protocols, I now get "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". I've checked the forums here, done everything I could but the problem still persists. Even after swapping my Modem with a brand new one.

If I type "ipconfig /all" into command prompt (run as admin), I can't see my default Gateway. Again, I've tried everything on this forum I could find but still nothing changes.

Please help, I really want to begin downloading and playing Fallout 4 & Battlefront 3
(this message was created using my tablet)

bailojustin

Distinguished
First you must find the IP on your router and Modem, using this you can go into internet connection options, Open manage adapters, go to properties, then double click the IP4 TCP/IP settings and input your information there(The gateway on the modem) after it can connect to the DHCP it should auto assign you a IP address.

Also open command prompt,
type Ipconfig /release
Type ipconfig /flushdns
type ipconfig /renew

If you have a Ethernet cable laying around, Directly connect your computer to the Modem and this should automatically take the information from the modem if you setup the connection this way, then you should be able change the setting while your adapter is plugged in to match those of the modem. unplug and you should have internet back.

Last but not least if you are missing the IPv4 Protocol, then you will have to right click the adapter, go to properties, then click install, and install protocol, the one you are specifically missing.

Blue_Cola

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015

How do I find the IP address for my Router and Modem?
also, Protocol was successfully installed

bailojustin

Distinguished
your tablet is connected to it, go into your tablets internet settings to see it, or you can search on your modem for it to be listed. Also you can go to the address of your modem/router, in the network page on a computer it will show the modem then you right click find device webpage.

It could be 192.168.1.1
These are the most common addresses, if not either then slowly move up 192.168.3.1, 192.168.4.1, you will type these into your address bar till it brings you to the homepage.

If you open up your phone and go to the internet connection then click modify it should show the IP address

Blue_Cola

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015

OK, I've got the menu up and I know my IP address. Now what do I do?

bailojustin

Distinguished
Now open your network and sharing center, then change adapter settings, now find your adapter, open it, right click properties, should look like the following if not similar.
fa499b7016cf93d909cf0495c19324bc.png

double click your INternet Protocol Version 4, and put in your IP, you can also check automatically detect ip settings for all them.

If you are still having trouble after this, I would rollback your internet adapter driver, hopefully this will revert any changes that were made and should function. If nothing else works, just find exactly what your adapter is, look online for the driver, download the driver to a usb, uninstall your current ethernet driver, reinstall using the USB.

Blue_Cola

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015

I don't understand what to do. If I open up command prompt and type ipconfig /all. I get an ip address beginning with 169 for my Ethernet. The only reason I was able to open up the homepage for internet setup was by using a 192 IP address.
I tried to input my Ethernet's 169 address but nothing happened.
Am I doing something wrong?

also, is there any way i can contact you faster? lets say, skype? or something?

bailojustin

Distinguished
Okay, this will fix your issue and will be easy for you to follow
1. Uninstall your Antivirus
2. Go to start, search CMD and run command prompt as Admin
opencmdasadmin_thumb.png

3.Type following commands –
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
fixforlimitedconnectivityinWindows10_thumb.png

4. Reboot your computer

Your internet should now work.

angel92

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
1st: find out your network address from other computer/ laptop that using the same ethernet cable.
go to control panel> network and internet> network and sharing center> ethernet> details> physical address
after u obtain physical address from other computer, then u can start configure your network address.
go to control panel> network and internet> network and sharing center> ethernet> properties> configure. In property section select network address then on value section put the physical address that u obtained before. then select OK. it should start working.