ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I'm on Windows 10, after an update yesterday (reboot) my ethernet card began to report "ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Since I have 2 networks cards on my motherboard (asrock fatal1ty z68 professional gen3) I switched to ethernet 2 but the same issue was reported. Nothing else was changed on my configuration other than a windows 10 update.

things Ive tried; recycling the power on modem/router (10 mins wait), swapped Ethernet cables, removed and reinstalled realtek drivers, tried windows default driver, tested modem/router all fine with TV/Laptop and phone.

So I decided to reformat my hard drive and perform a clean install of the OS, (after a few hours of troubleshooting I subscribe to thinking that the nuking from orbit is the only way to be sure). After a clean installation of an older copy of windows 10 (production ISO) the issue remains:??:. Both ethernet cards report "ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Its an odd error, I've never seen it before tbh.

This morning I cycled the power on the PC by pulling the power cable and holding the start button to empty the capacitors. In about an hour I'm back home to troubleshoot some more - is it possible both Ethernet cards failed? maybe I should clear CMOS and pull the batteries?

Any suggestions would be very welcome as I'm out of ideas.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
So weird this issue remained even after a drive format and a fresh install of windows 10.

Pulling the power cord and draining the capacitors by holding the power button down worked. Once I started up the PC again after doing this it acquired IP and connected.