Ethernet going through extra wifi-point?

dutchobama

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
Hello, a friend of mine has an extra wifi point installed in his attic, connected to the switch. His PC is connected, via an ethernet cable, through the switch, to the router downstairs.

His internet, instead of going from his PC through the switch to the router, it goes from his PC through the switch to the extra wifi point, back to the switch, and then to the router.

Here's his network: https://i.gyazo.com/b13d7e9ff237048b94bb45f72c477e0f.png

So does anyone know how we can stop his internet going through the extra wifi point, rather than directly through the switch to his PC?

Solution
You need to change the cabling, maybe move the switch.

So it is router to switch
Switch to PC and Switch to wifi

Although this sounds like what it is already just with the switch in the attic and there being 2 cable runs going into the attack, where it could be just one.

I wouldn't pay a lot of credence to that network mapping, dumb switches are very very dumb and near as dammit transparent, so logically this is correct if you assume an invisible switch just before the wifi.

dutchobama

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

Well, from the switch point of view, there's one cable running to the PC, one to the router and one to the wifi point.
The cables are set up properly (even if I fail to explain they are), but for some reason his internet goes from his PC to the switch, to the wifi point, back to the switch and then to the router..

What's the extra WiFi access point? Is it just a WiFi router? if so, you need to disable the DHCP server on it, assign it a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.2) so you can still configure it, and cover up its WAN port with a piece of tape (so nobody accidentally plugs something into it).

The symptoms you're describing sounds like he has an extra WiFi router he's trying to use as an access point. But he's got it connected to the switch via the WAN port and a LAN port. The PC is getting its DHCP address from the WiFi access point, so it thinks the access point is its gateway. So communications goes PC -> switch -> WiFi access point. Since the access point's WAN port is plugged plugged into the switch and sees the main router as its gateway, his Internet requests are then being sent WiFi access point -> switch -> main router.

Topographically there is only 1 way to set it up, (2 if you count the PC cable going direct to the router) so it's just a question of switch in the attic or not.

To Solandri's point, I had a wifi enabled router being used as an access point just like the above, static IP address, DHCP disabled, and the printers, and PC that were near it on a switch looked like they were going through it. I'm reading this as a networking mapping 'error'/'feature'

OP - what symptoms are you trying to get rid of? As it may be that this is not the cause, assuming there are any.

Solution