Ethernet keeps switching between "identifying" and "network cable unplugged"

SarahSoAwesome

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Windows troubleshooting says '"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration'. It's a brand new ethernet cord so I doubt it's that. The LED's on the back of the computer come on and off as it goes through the "identifying - network cabcable unplugged" loop. I already updated my driver, it was out of date but that didn't fix it. Everything was working fine until I moved and use different Internet now. The router I'm using is "comtrend ar5312u". Running Windows 10. I'll post the ipconfig results in a reply. If anyone could help me fix this that would be fantastic!

SarahSoAwesome

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
ipconfig results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SarahsPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-8D-5C-45-4B-DE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c1c9:296b:e3a0:4ac1%6(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.74.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 104893788
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-0D-6E-3A-40-8D-5C-45-4B-DE
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

SarahSoAwesome

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

The cable's brand new, I don't think that's the problem. If I plug it right in to the modem the LED's on the back of the computer stay on. But then the wifi doesn't work.
*edit* all the other cables seem fine too. None are loose and none appear to have shorts
*edit 2* also the Internet doesn't work when plugged right in to the modem, it's still unidentified and still gives the "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" message when troubleshooting

The router is fine, I'm using the wifi right now to watch youtube

bad connections in the cable, or a cable not fully inserted into its connector can also prevent the connection. broken wires can make and break connections several times a second.

-----------
some older machines have a phone line connection as well as a network connection.
make sure you did not plug the network cable in the phone modem jack.

the ipconfig indicates that you are not seeing the router.

you should run a admin cmd.exe or powershell and run
ipconfig.exe /release
ipconfig.exe /renew

then display the config info
ipconfig.exe /all

see if the default gateway field is filled out and that you get an ip address.

if you can connect to your router, you might check the security settings it might be set to reject any device that is not on a list of known mac addresses. (this is how I set my router up)

also, find another network cable and give it a try. a lot of cables will be defective when you get them.
bad connections, specially wired for certain applications.

you can google "network cable color code standard" and see photos of the color codes in the wires,
sometimes the cables will come with the wires inserted backward or in the wrong order. You can see them if you have good eyes or a magnifying glass.

SarahSoAwesome

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

The cord itself looks fine. My computer only has an ethernet port.
After I did the /release it said "An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet: An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"
Doing /renew gives me this when it actually works (usually it says it was canceled by the user as my Internet goes through the identifying - network cable unplugged loop) "An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"
ipconfig /all results haven't changed from what I posted above.
I don't have another cable I can try right now.

SarahSoAwesome

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Oh, another thing. The light on the modem for the ethernet port that my computer's plugged in to stays on while my computer is in sleep mode. When I wake the computer up its connected for a second then goes back to the identifying - network cable unplugged loop. Also, I can't access the router's settings page, it just doesn't load. (Comtrend AR-5312u, yes I looked up how to access it's settings)