[SOLVED] Ethernet/NIC issues after a power outage

mappley

Commendable
May 15, 2020
Last night there was a thunderstorm and a brief power outage. This morning, I found out that my modem is bricked. Completely unresponsive, dead as dead. I got a new modem today, went through the cable company rigamarole and got things set up but I'm having issues with my PC's ethernet connectivity. There is no ethernet connectivity. WiFi works adequately though the signal is oddly weak. Don't know if the weak signal is new as I'd never used WiFi on this computer before today. Ethernet works on other devices like my TV and Fire. All three are connected via the same 8-port switch. My NAS is having potentially similar connection issues but haven't gotten around to troubleshooting it yet.

In Device Manager, "Ethernet Controller" shows up under "Other devices" separate from the other network adapters and it has a yellow caution symbol over its icon. I've uninstalled it multiple times with no change. I downloaded new drivers from ASRock but when I try to install them through the Intel install wizard I get the message "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present on this computer." When I try to update the ethernet controller via device manager by manually selecting the extracted file I downloaded, I get the message "Windows could not find drivers for your device."

Don't know how to approach this if it's a hardware problem.

Old Modem: TPLink TC-W7960
New Modem: Netgear C7000v2

My build:
ASRock Mini-ITX Motherboard AB350
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX 8G OC
Corsair SF450 PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB RAM
Lazer3D LZ7 Case

Absolutely love my SFF build if anyone's wondering.

Last edited:
Solution
Ouch, sounds like this did some damage. :(

Let's confirm if you have a hardware issue on the computer--boot a linux live cd/usb and if the port doesn't work there it's probably dead. :( The upside is that usb 3.0 2.5Gbps nics are pretty cheap, and depending on your nas you might be able to use the same usb nic to diagnose it as well. Good luck! And let us know how it goes.
Ouch, sounds like this did some damage. :(

Let's confirm if you have a hardware issue on the computer--boot a linux live cd/usb and if the port doesn't work there it's probably dead. :( The upside is that usb 3.0 2.5Gbps nics are pretty cheap, and depending on your nas you might be able to use the same usb nic to diagnose it as well. Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

Solution