Question Ethernet no internet required

Dec 5, 2019
I want a local group to share files but I do not want any internet access, for WinXP and other older PCs, not to clash with internet via router. How to do this please?
Maybe I need a second network card?

cdrkf

Honorable
I want a local group to share files but I do not want any internet access, for WinXP and other older PCs, not to clash with internet via router. How to do this please?
Maybe I need a second network card?
I'm not sure what you mean 'not to clash with internet'? Do you want one machine to have internet access but not the others in the network?

Dec 5, 2019
I have a main machine win7/64 (connected to router and internet) and an XP machine which I want to communicate with my Win7 machine but not to have internet access. If I attach XP via router ethernet I get comms and also internet, seems dangerous even if I do not use the XP browser. I now use USB and carry to garage/workshop.

DeauteratedDog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Easy. On the XP box, turn off DHCP, give it a static IP address on your subnet but outside your DHCP range, and DO NOT give it a default gateway. It will then have LAN access, but nothing beyond the router.

Reactions: JW149
Dec 5, 2019
Thank you so much, will implement this weekend
Is there a distance limit to ethernet cables, just in case you know that as well, Thanks in advance,

ASK THE COMMUNITY