Question Ethernet not showing after restart ?

Feb 7, 2022
A few days ago I started having this problem. When I restarted or shut down my pc after reopening the ethernet does not show like it says not connected, even the cable light doesnt glow(FYI the wifi works fine though I use an adapter). It again starts working after I do a cmos reset. Pls dont tell me to install driver or restart modem or that already did those, none of those works. This is leading to many problems. Pls help me!

Ralston18

Titan
Desired network connectivity being wired (Ethernet) - correct?

Try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable.

Also verify that only one network adapter is enabled on your pc. Either wired or wireless - not both network adapters at the same time.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Feb 7, 2022
I am sorry, I forgot to mention that this problem happened before too reinstalling windows fixed it this time it does nothing. I changed the cable with a brand new one. I checked the router by connecting it to other devices it worked as usual. I connected my pc to another pc there was a connection of course no internet but there was a connection alright.

Feb 7, 2022
Desired network connectivity being wired (Ethernet) - correct?

Try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable.

Also verify that only one network adapter is enabled on your pc. Either wired or wireless - not both network adapters at the same time.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.
I am sorry but posting ipconfig results is not privacy and will leak out my ip and gateway.

Almost everyone uses the same exact IP addresses in their house. Things like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are used by the vast majority of routers for gateway.
These are all addresses called private addresses which are never actually leave your house.

The function of your router is share the PUBLIC ip you get from your ISP with all your equipment in your house.

You would never see a public IP on a IPCONFIG command unless you did not have a router and directly plugged your pc into a modem.

In any case that really is not the reason you were asked for IPCONFIG but I assume it was simpler to not explain all the possible broken conditions you might see. If you actually get a IP addresses and gateway then the ethernet port has to be mostly working. What would be more likely is if the ethernet port does not even exist or if it is in a disconnected state in your case.

Feb 7, 2022
Oh.. XXXXXXXX [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly Forum.]
Here are the results:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-EGF8AQQ
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter ProtonVPN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WireGuard Tunnel
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.2.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.2.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Unknown adapter ProtonVPN TUN:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ProtonVPN Tunnel
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-ProtonVPN Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-F7-65-D7-7D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-D5-5E-47-5A-E4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.29.71(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 11, 2022 3:19:38 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 12, 2022 9:19:45 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.29.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.29.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.29.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-7D-DA-71-15

Last edited by a moderator:
So this says everything is fine. You need to do the ipconfig when you think it is broken.

You should be able to ping your router ip 192.168.29.1

The only strange thing I see here is you have a vpn of some kind installed. There is a wireguard interface active. Maybe it is only partially active since there are things called protovpn also.

Feb 7, 2022
No the vpn is not the issue. As I mentioned before that I reinstalled windows when this problem arrived right after reinstalling the ethernet was not there like before even installing the vpn. I had to use hotspot for installing my programs.

Ok but can you ping the router IP when it is broken....I hope not.

Does it show the IP address in the ipconfig command when you think it is broken. It should not if the port is actually broken after a boot. The pc does not have a IP address when it is off. During the boot process it ask for a IP and gets one from the router. If it is able to get a IP from the router somehow then the port must work to a point.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the subnet mask supposed to be 255.255.255.255?

Likewise (afterthought) I am now wondering about the Unknown adapter ProtonVPN Default Gateway being 0.0.0.0

Reference:

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/gateway-0-0-0-0/

From the link:

"This blog post will address a troubleshooting exercise with a VM (virtual machine) that would not route. As it turned out it had the default gateway set to 0.0.0.0 next to the actual gateway IP address. "

All too easy to overlook or forget some configuration setting. I would be remiss if I didn't at least raise the questions.

And those questions, in turn, may trigger someone else's memory and bring out other ideas and suggestions.

After all, if the internet worked after the fresh install and before installing the vpn then that strongly suggests a vpn related problem.