Question Ethernet not working

Jan 9, 2021
Asus Rog Strix B550-i

AMD chipset is up to date
Intel ethernet drivers are up to date (I225-v, 1.0.2.6)
Flashed in the latest BIOS for this board (1602 beta)
Made a new windows install USB and did a fresh install
Checked the cable to make sure it worked on other PCs

Nada

Only sign is I got that the motherboard is picking up a signal is it sometimes shows "Unknown Device" with yellow triangle below Network Drivers in Device Manager. Don't know what triggers this, and help would be appreciated. The build took me a while, so I want to avoid RMA-ing because I feel like this should be an easy fix.

kanewolf

Titan
Asus Rog Strix B550-i

Nada

Only sign is I got that the motherboard is picking up a signal is it sometimes shows "Unknown Device" with yellow triangle below Network Drivers in Device Manager. Don't know what triggers this, and help would be appreciated. The build took me a while, so I want to avoid RMA-ing because I feel like this should be an easy fix.
Those 2.5Gb ethernet interfaces have had problems -- View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gp2okm/intel_25g_lan_issue_impacted_models/
and
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/top...intel-i225-v-chip-is-on-asus-rog-strix-b550-f
It is possible that is the problem. Here is Intel's fix -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Reactions: landrysaathoff

RealBeast

Titan
That Ethernet adapter (I225-v ) has had a lot of issues, particularly with V1 and V2.

Have you already updated the adapter firmware to 1.45 as discussed HERE, which claims that in combination with the newer driver was working.

There are some things that worked for some users, like using wireless to get the latest Windows update and then updating the LAN driver automatically through the DM. But if your adapter is not even consistently showing up in the DM an RMA may be the only choice.

Reactions: landrysaathoff
Jan 9, 2021
That Ethernet adapter (I225-v ) has had a lot of issues, particularly with V1 and V2.

Have you already updated the adapter firmware to 1.45 as discussed HERE, which claims that in combination with the newer driver was working.

There are some things that worked for some users, like using wireless to get the latest Windows update and then updating the LAN driver automatically through the DM. But if your adapter is not even consistently showing up in the DM an RMA may be the only choice.

Updating the adapter firmware is going to be my last attempt to remedy the issue before I RMA.

Could you link me on how to to update to 1.45? My Google searches on how to do this have been confusing at best. The package I downloaded from Intel has four zip files all starting with "700Series__NVM" and idk where to even start with that.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Update: I'm biting the bullet and sending it to Asus for an RMA. Not sure how to update the ethernet NVM firmware, and I'm pretty sure that it will not fix my problem anyway.

Sucks, but hey -- that's what warranties are for.

Jan 27, 2021
Asus Rog Strix B550-i

Nada

I was having a similar issue where my B550 F wasn't even detecting a cable being plugged in. I forget where I saw it online but I had a ethernet switch laying around and hooked my ATT gateway to the switch then to my computer. It started working perfectly after that. I don't know if you already sent your mobo back but hopefully if someone else has the same issue it may help.

Feb 17, 2021
I was having a similar issue where my B550 F wasn't even detecting a cable being plugged in. I forget where I saw it online but I had a ethernet switch laying around and hooked my ATT gateway to the switch then to my computer. It started working perfectly after that. I don't know if you already sent your mobo back but hopefully if someone else has the same issue it may help.
I had the same problem and the ethernet switch was the only thing that worked for me.