Ethernet outlet help

Oct 10, 2018
Help!
Hi all. I’m going to apologize ahead of time for being computer/ethernet cable/motem illiterate. My dad always helped me fix these issues but he passed away. My family recently moved into a new home and the rooms have the ethernet hook up outlet. When I plug my computer into the outlet it does not work. The wiring behind the outlets look correct to me. What else do I need to do? There is a box with cables and wires in my closet. I will show the picture. Any help would be gretaly appreciated! I am going back to school and the 50ft ethernet cable has got to go. Lol

Couldn’t figure out how to upload the picture. :/

Solution
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine literally helped me through one of the toughest times of my life recently and I don't know what i'd do with out him. The "ethernet outlet" is called a drop. The drop should be labeled with numbers and or letters, it can be matched up with the corresponding patch panel ports labeled in your closet. You take the ethernet cable, plug into the labeled port on your patch panel and plug the other end into the network device that provides network connectivity.
Internet > your house > modem/router > ethernet cable > your computer

So if the modem is correctly set-up and you can connect when directly plugging in an ethernet cable to router and computer, that leaves the wiring in the wall or outlet.

If it doesn't work when connecting the computer directly to the router it could have several causes:

- the line could be broken to your home
- the modem/router isn't correctly set up
- the computer isn't correctly set up
Best thing to call your ISP.

Because of the information provided so far try connecting the computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable for testing and see if it works.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine literally helped me through one of the toughest times of my life recently and I don't know what i'd do with out him. The "ethernet outlet" is called a drop. The drop should be labeled with numbers and or letters, it can be matched up with the corresponding patch panel ports labeled in your closet. You take the ethernet cable, plug into the labeled port on your patch panel and plug the other end into the network device that provides network connectivity.

Solution
Oct 10, 2018

It appears none of the wires you have are hooked to any electronic equipment.

The blue wires look like they go to a ethernet patch panel. You would want to connect those to a switch with short patch cables.

Not sure what the white wires are.

So your first step is to try to figure out which wire in the room you want to use connects to which wire.

In the final install you want ISP--modem/router----switch---connections to all the rooms. The modem/router do not have to go in this room but it makes it simpler sometimes.

Oct 10, 2018

Yes. That is what I am currently doing

Oct 10, 2018

Thank you!