[SOLVED] Ethernet ping spikes

Dec 31, 2021
Alright so I came here to post a thread about how my ping was acting up with my ethernet, I want to say that it worked fine but just now started to have ping spikes (2-3 week span)

If I do a ping to my gateway the ping does not spike it stays at 1 MS.

https://prnt.sc/25e33zb

However, if I were to do a connection test on meter.net

I got spikes like these ones so I tested my nearest location
and then the location which I would be gaming on, so UK.

https://prnt.sc/25e4ow1

If anyone knows the fix to this I would highly appreciate it.

Solution
You messed something up with your screen caps they don't come up for me.

Unfortunately it is likely you are testing something that you can not get fixed.

First the ISP does not guarantee and latency they to a point promise a certain "UP TO" bandwidth number. If you were getting packet loss that the ISP would look at since most times that is some kind of defective equipment.

Packet delays that are not distance related are because some device is holding the data in a buffer due to congestion. There is nothing you can do if some connection between 2 random ISP in the path is overloaded. You have no control over the path your data takes and you have no direct agreement yourself with ISP other than your own to even pass data...
You messed something up with your screen caps they don't come up for me.

Unfortunately it is likely you are testing something that you can not get fixed.

First the ISP does not guarantee and latency they to a point promise a certain "UP TO" bandwidth number. If you were getting packet loss that the ISP would look at since most times that is some kind of defective equipment.

Packet delays that are not distance related are because some device is holding the data in a buffer due to congestion. There is nothing you can do if some connection between 2 random ISP in the path is overloaded. You have no control over the path your data takes and you have no direct agreement yourself with ISP other than your own to even pass data.

In any case the next step is to test this yourself and not use silly web tools. It could very well be that the site has a problem with THEIR isp or their server provider.

First run ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get large spikes. If you do not then it pretty much shows the other problems are well outside your ISP.

Next run tracert to 8.8.8.8. Your only goal is to get the routers in the path tracert seldom shows random issues.

Then you want to ping the IP in hop 2. This most times is the connection between your house and the ISP. If you see problems here the most common cause is that you are exceeding the bandwidth you purchase. Verify that you do not have anything running in your house that might overload either download or upload rates.
It tends to be very unlikely if you have a internet connection over 100mbps. The messy part is there is a total network bandwidth that you and your neighbors share in the physical connection between your house and the ISP. There is not much you can really do if your ISP has put too many people on a segment and your neighbors kids are running torrents. You can call the ISP but it is generally it is extremely hard to get them to understand and fix a latency issues.

If it is not hop 2 you can continue to test other hops but this is even farther into the ISP network or maybe other ISP networks. Not sure how you would get something like this fixed even if you know exactly where the problem is.

Solution