Ethernet ports arent being detected in Windows 7 for GA-P55-UD4P

jedwards16

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Windows 7 was the first OS I installed on this freshly built PC so I dont know if its the problem or is this pre-existed.

The 2 ethernet ports on my GA-P55-UD4P arent being seen at all in the device manager nor do I get any sort of response when I plug an ethernet cable into either of them. No lights, no connection. Nothing.

Is there an incompatibility issue here with Win7? I goto Gigabytes site and download the latest LAN drivers but they stop halfway thru the install saying that it cant detect the Realtek Network Controller. Im not sure where to take it from here.

Oh, and under Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS, theres 2 items called "Onboard H/W Lan 1" and "Onboard H/W LAN 2". Both of these are enabled.

Are both ports on my mobo junk or is there something else here Im not seeing? All of the other ports work.

mowglismlxl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I HAVE THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!

I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64bit

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2

I plugged in my ethernet cable and nothing. No signs of internet connection. I tried my nephews (running vista) computer with the same ethernet cable and the internet worked fine. I do notice that my ethernet port on my motherboard has a orange light that keeps staying on.

I also downloaded the drivers for the motherboard but nothing. I also downloaded the realtek driver for my ethernet port and i get a message saying that something couldn't be found and to check if the port is in deep sleep mode... some message like that . Furthermore, i put in my motherboard disk and it didn't detect that it needed any drivers.

please help us.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Go to Device Manager, Expand Network Adaptors, Right click Realtek/Gigabit Ethernet, select Uninstall. Reboot. Windows should find the device and install the driver. Dont install any other driver or update the driver untill the bug is worked out.

jedwards16

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Thats the exact problem I have...right down to the "check if the port has deep sleep enabled" message.

For some reason when I booted up this morning, both ports were now being listed under device manager. The only change I did between now and then was go into BIOS and enter "Integrated Peripherals" and tell it to reset that page to the suggested defaults. There was nothing for it to reset since I didnt change a thing in there but I thought it was worth a shot. This morning, both ports started to auto install drivers. This is where it gets weird again.

I get 2 messages, each saying that its installing the drivers then it quickly fails for both saying that the drivers didnt install properly.
Now I have two Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC listed under Device Manager, each with a yellow "!" next to them. If I ask Windows to search for new driver software for them, it says they are up to date.

If I follow knotknuts advice and uninstall them and reboot, it detects them again but then fails when it tries to auto-install the drivers.

I went to Gigabytes website again and grabbed the W7 64bit Lan Drivers. This time, the install goes the whole way thru. It gives no errors and says its complete. The ports names in Device Manager are then changed to "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". I still cant get a connection out of them, though. The status lights dont even turn on when I plug in a cable.

If I check the properties of each under the device manager, it says they are working properly.

jedwards16

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Ok, I checked all of my cables and everything was ok. I then entered the BIOS and clicked on SMART LAN 1 and it ran thru some test thing. I reset and went into Windows. This time, I got status lights and now I have a connection from the ethernet ports.

mowglismlxl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

I tried this... but my Realtek ethernet does not not show in the device manager. Not even with everest software can i find my ethernet device

bilbat

Splendid
Did you install the chipset drivers from your 'shipped-with' CD? The system can't 'find' the secondary PCIe bus until the P55 drivers are installed, and have properly configured themselves, as the LAN chip is 'hung off' the 2nd PCIe bus...

bilbat

Splendid
When you insert the disk, it should pop up a screen somewhat like this (different northbridge...):
0128.jpg

You want to 'uncheck' the 'Dynamic Energy Saver' entry, and then click 'express install'; the system will reboot a few times, and get all your drivers in... If you're not getting it to run when inserted, open the CD drive and double-click on the 'run.exe' entry...

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Just to help with the frustration this is not a user error. For several months the Windows update has been installing an incorrect driver for the 8168d/8111d chip, it continually tries and install a 'b' version of the driver which doesn't work and thus far has ignored numerous requests to fix this. Just recently they changed the driver to another one which I saw listed above here, I noticed it was dated May 2009 and have avoided it like the plague.

jedwards16

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I can vouch for that. I ran Windows update this morning and saw the driver listed there so I downloaded again to see what would happen. It killed both ports. I had to roll back to the ones on Gigabytes website to get it to work again.

bilbat

Splendid
Roll back the driver - it is defunct, and simply tell update to quit presenting it; periodically, they get a broken update that keeps re-installing over and over - was one just last week for Xp; just need to tell update to 'hide' the driver...
This is the 'broken' one:
0132h.jpg

mowglismlxl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I Still cannot get my ethernet to be detected.
Running windows 7 64 bit gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

bilbat this is what i get when i put in my mobo disk
mobo_drivers.png

then when i tried installing the driver from within the cd files
failed.png

this is my device manager i don't see the the ethernet device
drivers.png

bilbat

Splendid
Is it conceivable that, somehow, your PCIe bus speed has been raised? Go into your BIOS, take it off 'auto' and set it manually to '100'; in the 775 boards, anyway, 'auto' runs of some kind of multiplier/divider dealie, and no workee, if you OC, certain things will 'bump up' the PCIe, unbidden! If the PCIe bus gets too fast, typically the first thing to 'drop off the bus' is the OB LAN chip(s)...

bilbat

Splendid
All very strange... What are the eleven items under 'Network adapters'? The 'RegDB' error is an installShield error:
http://knowledge.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108322&sliceId=1
but I've never seen anything like it actually using InstallShield... I'll have to look into whether there are any 'supercession' issues; I can't recall if win7 automatically intercepts use of an 'on disk' installer version, and redirects to the latest 'in system' setup...
It appears that either the RTL8111D is not being 'seen' by the installer, or it 'thinks' it's already been installed - one thing you might try is a BIOS upgrade - these are effectively 'beta' boards (several second generation 'rev A' boards, with USB 3.0 have already been released...), and the BIOS revisions are a nearly continuous stream... Current (I think) for your board is F4t (they went through 'm', 'p', and 'r' nearly instantaneously!), available here:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15071
Don't use @BIOS; stick with the BIOS' own flasher, or the flasher included with the BIOS file...

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
hey mowglismlxl
did the bios flash work for you?
im in the same boat, and i've tried everything, except for BIOS flashing.

@bilbat
how exactly do you flash the BIOS, because i can't download the file on the problem one (as i can't get the network (catch 22)). i've downloaded it on another computer, and placed it in the desktop of the Win7 computer. what do i do now?

Thanks for your time
sorry to annoy u again...
MICK