[SOLVED] Ethernet randomly cuts out for a few seconds all the time

Oct 15, 2020
I have a laptop that doesn't have an ethernet jack, so I use a USB to ethernet adapter. I have a gigabit ethernet port, but for some reason every 30 seconds or so my ethernet will just cut out for a few seconds. I've tried going into device manager and tweaking the network adaptor section, like disabling energy efficient energy and changing the speed and duplex, but nothing seems to work. My ethernet is usually quite fast, around 70Mb/s, but it will still just cut out completely over and over again. Is there anything I can do?

Solution
You've got packet loss and that's enough of an issue right there. Are you able to wire directly to the isp equipment (modem, gateway, etc) and run the test again? If you get the same issues there with both your usb and built-in ethernet wired directly, then it's an isp problem.
Oct 15, 2020
I'm confused. Are you talking about your usb adapter cutting out or the laptop's native nic?
The usb doesn't disconnect, just the internet. It usually runs at around 70Mb/s but every so often it will suddenly just drop to 0 before picking back up a few seconds later

You've got packet loss and that's enough of an issue right there. Are you able to wire directly to the isp equipment (modem, gateway, etc) and run the test again? If you get the same issues there with both your usb and built-in ethernet wired directly, then it's an isp problem.

Solution