Question Ethernet randomly disconnects on Windows 11 PC ?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I am connected to a TP-LINK Archer VR600 v3 via Ethernet right now.
It is so frustrating especially when playing games, imagine you're playing, everything suddenly disconnects then comes back 30 seconds later, this can happen 3-4 times every hour.
and whenever I am disconnected, I check with my phone which is connected to the same modem (wireless) and internet is there, everything is perfect on wireless, I can confirm it is only ethernet on my PC that completely goes out.

I have tried the following so far:
  1. Reinstalling Windows 11
  2. Upgrading modem (from an old one to the tplink one, this problem exists on both modems)
Another note, this issue was present before I changed my motherboard (to a z690 prime-a), the issue was present on both motherboards, so this should eliminate possibility of a broken LAN port on MOBO (or modems).
3. I have replaced ALL of the cables in the house recently (for another reason) and this problem existed both before and after. I tried a few different Ethernet cables too.

So in summary, it is only happening on my windows 11 PC, I have updated all drivers, using latest version of win11 downloaded straight from Microsoft website, and whenever Ethernet is disconnected other devices still have internet.
I can further confirm this with the fact that I can't even enter my Modem settings via browser when it decides to disconnect (as if you have plugged out the Ethernet cable, it Completely disconnects)

This leads to me to believe there's something really wrong with Windows 11. I might be wrong though, if I've missed any important information let me know, I really need to fix this!

Ralston18

Titan
What was the other reason for replacing all of the house cables? What cables were installed as replacement cables?

= = = =

On your PC check Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even and informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Reliability History is generally user friendly. Event Viewer takes more time and effort.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Also check the router's logs if available and enabled. The router's logs may provide some clue.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Also run "arp -a" and post the results.

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
What was the other reason for replacing all of the house cables? What cables were installed as replacement cables?

= = = =

On your PC check Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even and informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Reliability History is generally user friendly. Event Viewer takes more time and effort.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Also check the router's logs if available and enabled. The router's logs may provide some clue.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Also run "arp -a" and post the results.
Alright, after more investigation, I think I have found the actual problem.

I monitored all devices bandwidth usage, and what I saw is that some of the devices start using the ENTIRE bandwidth (I mean ALL of it, EXCEEDING our internet speed and filling up all the connection bandwidth to the modem/router) there are 4 other people connected to it usually, I should definitely go after it and see if it is an specific device that randomly shows this behavior.

But for now, I should ask, is this common?
I understood the moment my ethernet connection disconnects is also the moment that device (which I don't know which one, could be a phone?) is using up all of the bandwidth

This where you have to be careful how you describe things. Disconnected generally means if you do IPCONFIG /all you will see the ethernet port in a disconnected state. That is almost always some hardware or very basic driver issue.

If by disconnected your machine does not have internet or you get warnings about no internet that is a very different problem.

It would be very strange if traffic from a another machine would actually cause a disconnect status.

Something using too much bandwidth depends on if you can tell what it is. It could be some large file download or something or it could be some type of data that is being sent in error. I mean it is actually fairly easy to crash most networks you just plug a cable between 2 lan ports on a switch or router and you get a broadcast loop. Most consumer grade equipment does not protect against that. You can get similar issues if you bridge interfaces together incorrectly.

Maybe something like resource manager on the machine causing the issue will give you a clue. It should show the process with all the network traffic.

After this you start thinking about programs like wireshark. Best if you can load it on the machine causing the problem. This will let you see at least to some extent what is going on. Most traffic is encrypted but you might still get some idea. If this is say something like a tv or other dumb device then it gets hard because either your router will have to have some ability to tell you in detail about the traffic or you are going to have to insert some device that can capture the traffic so you can analyze it.