Question Ethernet Rj45 crimps.

Aug 8, 2018
Hi,
I am using Cat7 ethernet cables. I just wanted to ask whether the cat7 cables require a specific crim for termination or normal shielded rj45 connectors will work without any cost to speeds and quality?

Anything higher than cat5e is a waste of money for most people. If you have 10g ports in your equipment you use cat6a.

What does higher frequencies and faster rates really mean. You think technical stuff you don't understand make it better because its magic but people that know what all the words mean know it is pretty much a scam by the cable vendors.

The example I like to use is the car tire salesman talking about how well his tires work in cold weather and snow. All the specs sound fantastic until you realize the person buying the tires lives in south florida where it might snow once in a 100 years.

The speed the wire runs is controlled by the ports. If the maximum speed the port will run is 1gbit then cat5e cable will carry the traffic. Using a cable with better specs still only runs at 1gbit. So even though the cable might support faster rates it only does that if you plug it into a 10g port and you might as well use the cheaper cat6a if that is true.

Shield cable is a massive pain. Shielding is used to prevent interference from getting into the cable. This again is one of those "magic" things they like to confuse people on. You only need shielding if you have interference. Interference coming into the cable is extremely rare I oversaw many tens of thousands of cable installs where every port is tested and 1 had interference and that was because someone ran the cable though a florescent light fixture. You will never see interference in a home environment.

To correctly install shield cable you need special metal end to connect the shield to. This is the easy part. The hard part is the stuff you plug the metal end into much have a corresponding connection that grounds the shield. This is extremely rare even in commercial equipment. In addition the ground can not be the power ground. Mostly for safety reason it must a completely different wire going to the ground.

Pretty much you can't get it installed properly in a home install so it is a waste of money. Improperly installed shielded cable takes the risk the shield act as a antenna and actually increases the interference rather than reducing it. BUT since interference is so rare your are basically increasing nothing.

You can use normal cat5e crimp on plugs and it will work fine. Cat7 cables tend to be much stiffer wires and are much harder to crimp the ends on.

Aug 8, 2018
Anything higher than cat5e is a waste of money for most people. If you have 10g ports in your equipment you use cat6a.

What does higher frequencies and faster rates really mean. You think technical stuff you don't understand make it better because its magic but people that know what all the words mean know it is pretty much a scam by the cable vendors.

The example I like to use is the car tire salesman talking about how well his tires work in cold weather and snow. All the specs sound fantastic until you realize the person buying the tires lives in south florida where it might snow once in a 100 years.

The speed the wire runs is controlled by the ports. If the maximum speed the port will run is 1gbit then cat5e cable will carry the traffic. Using a cable with better specs still only runs at 1gbit. So even though the cable might support faster rates it only does that if you plug it into a 10g port and you might as well use the cheaper cat6a if that is true.

Shield cable is a massive pain. Shielding is used to prevent interference from getting into the cable. This again is one of those "magic" things they like to confuse people on. You only need shielding if you have interference. Interference coming into the cable is extremely rare I oversaw many tens of thousands of cable installs where every port is tested and 1 had interference and that was because someone ran the cable though a florescent light fixture. You will never see interference in a home environment.

To correctly install shield cable you need special metal end to connect the shield to. This is the easy part. The hard part is the stuff you plug the metal end into much have a corresponding connection that grounds the shield. This is extremely rare even in commercial equipment. In addition the ground can not be the power ground. Mostly for safety reason it must a completely different wire going to the ground.

Pretty much you can't get it installed properly in a home install so it is a waste of money. Improperly installed shielded cable takes the risk the shield act as a antenna and actually increases the interference rather than reducing it. BUT since interference is so rare your are basically increasing nothing.

You can use normal cat5e crimp on plugs and it will work fine. Cat7 cables tend to be much stiffer wires and are much harder to crimp the ends on.
If only I had someone like you to guide me for all the IT needs. 😅