[SOLVED] ethernet setup

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
So I want to do ethernet for my PC and I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't want it to suck. So I found this thing and I wanted to make sure I just plug it in the wall or powerstrip and plug an ethernet cable in and then to my PC and I get wifi on my PC right? I already have wifi in the house btw
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exte...&qid=1641672110&sprefix=w,aps,899&sr=8-4&th=1
also, what would be the cheapest cable that would still work fine? Doesn't need to be any longer than 6ft but its fine if its more

Solution
It depends on the USB device. If you have one of those extremely tiny ones they sell for $5 then that card might be better. Quality USB will perform as well as PCI cards and in some cases better because you can use a long USB extension cable to move them away from the machine. A usb extension cable should
be the first thing you try since it is cheap to try. The problem with pcie cards is the antenna are located in the back of the machine very close to lots of metal case that blocks signals. Best PCIE cards have antennas that mount remote on short cables.

I would not get my hopes up though,wifi tends to have a lot of trouble with some houses that absorb the signal and there really is no solution.

If you are going to spend...

kanewolf

Titan
So I want to do ethernet for my PC and I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't want it to suck. So I found this thing and I wanted to make sure I just plug it in the wall or powerstrip and plug an ethernet cable in and then to my PC and I get wifi on my PC right? I already have wifi in the house btw
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-External-Antennas-TL-WA855RE/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZIC3KAPZLPQL&keywords=wifi+extender&qid=1641672110&sprefix=w,aps,899&sr=8-4&th=1
also, what would be the cheapest cable that would still work fine? Doesn't need to be any longer than 6ft but its fine if its more
As long as you have a WIFI link in the chain, you don't have a wired network, even if the last 6 ft is wired. Your performance will be no better than other WIFI. And since the device you linked is a 2.4Ghz only, it could perform worse than 5Ghz WIFI.

It depends on the USB device. If you have one of those extremely tiny ones they sell for $5 then that card might be better. Quality USB will perform as well as PCI cards and in some cases better because you can use a long USB extension cable to move them away from the machine. A usb extension cable should
be the first thing you try since it is cheap to try. The problem with pcie cards is the antenna are located in the back of the machine very close to lots of metal case that blocks signals. Best PCIE cards have antennas that mount remote on short cables.

I would not get my hopes up though,wifi tends to have a lot of trouble with some houses that absorb the signal and there really is no solution.

If you are going to spend money look at powerline networks. If you have coax cable MoCA will be a much better performing option.

Solution